Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Lee - Crank tool measurements

Lee,

Did your measurements from the centre of the crank to the centre of the stub mounts is 184mm. There snub mount sticks out 10mm further than the front face of the crank pulleys.

I started bending tools so gave up after 150Nm + 90degree. it only started bending when I was jumping on the end of the extension - that is 16 Stone on the end!
    Attached Files
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Some serious torque you can inflict on there. Looks very similar to what did with mine, except we had 3 of us on the end of the bar while it was tightened up!
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Sounds a bit hard core over tightening...

450Nm equals to ~45kg mass at 1m distance.
      -

Comment

Mmm thats a depressing picture for me, Ive got to do that soon .

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Timing belt is also on my list of things to do very soon.
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I had my crank pully removed by a guy who also repairs tracktors.

Mine was so stuck, we bend a few tools.

I went to the tracktor repair shop, they had a massive air-(thing) and we got it off after 20sec of rattling

Cheers Cees

Comment

Thanks Doug useful info. Did you get my package??

Personally, I thing that 150Nm+180 derees is over the top (that's what I tried too)! I don't think this equates to 450Nm! I put more force than 450Nm and never achieved much more than 120 degrees after the initial tightening. Next time I will shove 22 odd kilos on 2 metres of lever to guarantee sufficient tightness unless I find a second hand, high-range, torquewrench in the next 60K miles!

Lee
              Last edited by Lee; 25 January 2004, 23:06.
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

When I was tightening it up I was thinking that it felt far too tight - when you look at it as only 45Kg on a metre extension - the 150Nm +180degrees is a lot more.

Got the stuff - Lee - just need some chips for it now - Mihnea?

Well - nearly - the fecking helicoil is eating the spark plug thread so it's going back for more work. To say I'm ****** off is an understatement. The can of petrol and match nearly got used yesterday :mad: :mad:
                S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I felt unfomfortable going the full 180 degrees so I'll check how it is holding up next time the bumper comes off. I should use a new bolt too but I reused the old one as I forgot to order a new fastener.

We get a lot of stuff helicoiled at work and it is amazing how many of them are screwed up by our subbies....and they should know better! Quite often they cross the threads while installing. Did they remove the tangs too? This is a must for your application and sometimes tang removal screws the helicoil if not done properly. I am very good at re-doing helicoils as I keep having to do it. Did they fit the right ones?? This is critical too. You need to make sure you use a long enough helicoil so that your spark plug doesn't poke through the bottom of the wire insert. If this happens you run the risk of removing the helicoil when removing a plug....it has happened to me too when the subcontractors don't read the drawings properly and fit a 1D instead of a 2.5D!

Did you like the WG nuts mate? I hope they are the right size. Trick aren't they? Over a quid per nut for each of those, retail!!

Lee
                  1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                  Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Working...
                  X