Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADU cam gear on ABY. Timing setup?

Hi,

I've been searching the forum of this good old topic but not found one dealing with my question.

I have ADU exhaust cam and ADU cam sprocket with ABY water pump and ABY timing belt.

What is the best way to do the timing with these parts?
    I can get the ABY cam sprocket spot on the timing mark and also the ADU one since there is no physical difference on the pulley itself (except the hall window).
    But since I don't have the ADU waterpump, should I still set it 1 (one in this case) tooth out to the left to get the most out of it?
    1 tooth to the left = the cams to be slightly off with the markings inside the cam cover when at TDC right?

Any BTDT?

Oh, I'm running ABY software at the moment but will get it mapped on MaxxECU later.

Sorry if this topic has already been answered.
    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Yes, AFAIK the ADU wheel only has the hall sender window ofgset, rather than being differently timed.

Whenever using the ADU water pump (fewer teeth than ABY), you need to run half a tooth out. This applies to ABY, AAN and ADU.

I run an RS2 spec ABY with RS2 pump and all other items ABY and it's half a tooth off. It also ran fine as a stock ABY with ADU pump.

With the ABY pump, you need to run it all on stock marks.

Half a tooth is 7 degrees ish and a full tooth is 14 degrees, so it appears 7 is within tolerance but 14 would be too much.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanks Rusty for your info, much appreciated!
      I'll time it up like the ABY one then.

I'm at the garage comparing the two pulleys, and when holding them against each other at TDC markings the window is skewed almost one tooth.

It makes sense not to disturb internal cam timing by moving the belt but instead let the hall window placement do it's magic.
      I'm slowly starting to understand how the engineers reasoned with this.
      Probably it's the ADU waterpump "offset" half tooth thing that has been confusing me.

Will be interesting to see how the car will behave with this setup on ABY SW.
      I'm guessing it will be no big drama.
      Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
      http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Working...
      X