Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another head breather question..

hello

so did a lot of reading on the subject but did only find old treads and none of them actualy gave me any awnser..

so my question is about oil build up in the head / cam cover..

as for now im running an12 on top of cam cover just after the filler cap.. the rest is blocked.

im running stock block breather with rustys cylone and the an12 hose to the side of the cyclone and the top outlet of cyclone is venting to air..

im running thuppus baffle sump plate.

car is on 500 hp daily driven and 201m and 402 m dragracing

but i was wondering should i open up the back breather again to get the oil faster to the sump? i whould then add another inlet pipe to the cylone and vent it that way..

reason for asking is that i get some tappet noice after a hard drive. launches and fast turns.. and was wondering if that was the cause of oil build up in head?..

i used to run a stock aby cam cover with the rear breather outlet as the only breather for the head. and that was returning to the cylone and then back to sump through the cyclone. maybe its my imagination but it was like the tappet noice was a lot less common when running it like this???

note i got no catch can atm since there is no oil going out of the engine. used to run a cc but it had no oil in it only some condens water

what do you think? is a hole in the back of the cam cover and a breather in the front of the cover the best solution to avoid build up? if there is any build up at all? and could the cyclone cope with it in the end...

so many questions i know haha. hope you understand were im going with this

ty for your time

I'd keep the catch can, as the condensed water vapour being removed from the crankcase is a benefit to combustion. You're also likely best served to keep the vented cam cover for consistent/even venting.

What oil weight are you running, and what are your oil/filter change intervals? That's one possible thing you didn't mention, that could cause lifter noise after sustained heavy duty driving.

Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
    1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

The condens vapors os just going out into the air
      i was not talking about blocking all the head breather i was just wondering If a Rear breather eas a good idea in addition to the an 12
      im running cfs nt++ 10w50
      oil change is 8000 km ~

Comment

allso how do you know if all the oil is staying in the head is there some kind of warning or something?

Comment

i used to run a stock aby cam cover with the rear breather outlet as the only breather for the head. and that was returning to the cylone and then back to sump through the cyclone. maybe its my imagination but it was like the tappet noice was a lot less common when running it like this???
          I'd go back to this set up and see if it improves.

Comment

Thats too easy

Comment

In order to do this you have to drill holes in that inner tube, otherwise it won't drain anything.

Comment

I allready have a breather hole in the front of the cover so one in the back would act like a drain i think

Comment

The one from the back was meant to be taking oil from the bottom end to the side after the turbo. If you have blocked the side one and not created any holes in the inner tube then connecting something to it won't do anything

Comment

you missunderstood. i dont have the intter tube anymore. and both holes is blocked. im talking about the stock location head breather

Comment

There is huge amount of oil coming out of the valvecover rear vent, not good. In my B4 I first had the breather in the stock location, and my catch can was full after 3-4 full wot pulls with 1-3 gears. Now when I made the outlet 1/3rd from the front of the cover there is no oil in the can anymore. I havn't had problems with ticking tapets though. Never had that problem, but I'm aware that the problem exist, have heard about it before. But I don't know what causes it. My tapets are quite new, only maybe 5-7tkm driven, and next engine gets new tapets again.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Okay. Mime are. It new they have 250000 on Them But i have new to Put in with new cams
                        was thinking to male the Rear breather retur to block that Way the Oil wont stay in the valve cover

Comment

Sometimes I hear a tapet like noise but only when I have driven long distances under very hot weather or lots of pulls. I run 10w60 now in Greece and still sometimes hear it.

Comment

At your power levels, be sure to avoid the "lightweight" version of the lifters/tappets. They're a known fail point and can grenade your head.

Comment

Are they? I didn't know that. I thought they were the only ones available

Comment

Working...
                              X