X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both cars down now

Both cars have let me down now .
    s6 hall sender and other issues. in another thread,and now the s2
    The s2 suddenly started to get hot for no reason after a few miles, and pushed water out of the header tank.
    Under the bonnet it stinks of electrical burning around the radiator fan.
    I suspected the fan motor , but it came on with the after run pump
    If any one has any ideas it would much appreciated.

Sympathies mate, its ***** when this happens.
    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

On the 3B it is a two speed fan so its not impossible that one stage might burn out I guess. If the after run works then that is connected through the resistor to the first stage speed which is shared with the first proper speed (stage 2). The other stage (stage 3) is the higher temperature speed which would draw more current so its a likely culprit.

Comment

Thank you Robin.

Comment

Of course thats the effect, the cause needs to be investigated!
          You need to determine that the electrical system (the rad switch/Relay) are functioning as they should. The fan should drop in and out so if its been running continously due to either a faulty switch or stuck relay, then that might be a cause. I don't recall seing any protection on that circuit such as a fusible link.

Comment

Do you think maybe the fan needing to work hard is a symptom of the overheating, and that the fan wiring issues you may be experiencing may only be being caused by the fact your car is overheating?

If a circuit is left unused for a long while, then used, it is quite possible a new fault will come up, so thi may be your problem here.

You say it overheats after a few miles, how many ? Warm up times are quite long with these engines... so if it is getting boiing hot on fast open roads within 5 miles then something else is up.

Comment

Just thought I would mention that the after run circuit is independent of the radiator switch circuit!
              Obviously the Bank Holiday was the warmest since the car was built. In ordinary use the high speed rarely comes on so perhaps it shat itself when suddendly awakened from its slumber. As the after run circuit operates the first stage speed then that suggests thats still functional, at least at the power level through the resistor.

Comment

So, realised I forgot to say, perhaps the head gasket is on the way out if it is overheating that fast?

Comment

I would be tempted to run it with out a thermostat and flush the rad.

Comment

Found the problem,. The starter was stuck in .
                    I have had an issue with the ignition switch just recently, lights come on when you turn the key but it wont start .
                    The car really stinks under the bonnet and I assumed it was the fan motor as it did seem to smell the strongest there plus the fact that it got hot.
                    Took it all out as I have a spare ,but it was all fine
                    Put it all back together fearing the worst I decided to do a compression test but the car would not turn over.
                    Had a look at the starter and could see it had gotten hot.
                    So of it came ,and it was locked solid.
                    So I can only assume that the heat and resistance caused by this increased the temperature of the engine enough to push the water out of the header tank, as the car is all back together and seems to be fine.
                    Except of course for the ignition switch .
                    I have ordered a new switch, now I have to figure out how to fit it.
                    Oh the joys of classic car ownership.

Comment

Good to hear you have got to the bottom of it. Have the bearings gone on the starter?
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

The s2 is running well with no over heating issues
                        cant tell you how good that feels .
                        now to fix the s6

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                          Found the problem,. The starter was stuck in .
                          I have had an issue with the ignition switch just recently, lights come on when you turn the key but it wont start .
                          Classic ignition switch failure mode. Switch fails during a start and leaves the starter in start position (engaged) even though the engine has started. Result = burned out starter.

Initial solution = always manually turn the key back to run after you start the engine.

Better solution = replace the switch.

Switch replacement guideline: http://12v.org/urs/ReplacingTheIgnitionSwitch.pdf

At least you found the problem and the solution wasn't too too painful money-wise.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

The cars are really testing my patients at the moment. No sooner than I fixed the s2 and the clutch master cylinder has failed leaving me stranded .

Comment

you want to get out and buy a lottery ticket with your luck! Hope you manage to one sorted and working again. If any consolation my 3b is flying on 4 axle stands at the moment waiting for a host of bits again to get it through the MOT and beyond. I never gets easier maintaining these cars does it
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X