MAF or MAFless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF or MAFless?

I'm tinkering again, unfortunately because I have to , but that's another story.
    As per the title really. I've looked on Google and there are pro's and con's for both.
    Any thoughts?
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

MAF is arguably better, if you have enough range as it compensates for variations in air mass, e.g. changes in VE due to wear etc, whereas a speed density is a static algorithm based on measured values. In our aftermarket (non OEM) reality, speed density is more practical. Of course just my 2c
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm asking because someone told me it causes airflow restrictions which can negate having a good IM.

Originally posted by msh View Post
      http://prj-tuning.com/?p=363 it's all written here.
      as provided by MSH

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Biggest issue with speed density on Motronic is that only Dmitri can do it, so you need to take your car to Estonia
        Most stand-alone systems are speed density based so it’s unlikely that MAF will be a worthwhile option. Sure a MAF can be a restriction but if you have a MAF of suitable size/ capability then no problem
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          if you have a MAF of suitable size/ capability then no problem
          So there is an upgrade to use with Motronic on the S2 engine?

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Prj does a modification to the Motronic ECU to enable it to be used with the RS4 Maf. The Maf's are cheap and it's reliable.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Biggest issue with speed density on Motronic is that only Dmitri can do it, so you need to take your car to Estonia
              I don't know anything about ECU tuning but I think porkkis here in Finland can also do MAFless Motronic. Mayby Thuppu can verify?
              Last edited by Antsa; 5 November 2017, 09:30.

Comment

Also Digitun in Poland

Comment

I’m thinking about running mine with out MAF, do you need extra sensor or is the conversion all in the ecu ?

Comment

Those that "can do" speed density on the stock ECU all use my code. Which, if you wait another week will be open to all anyway.

As for the MAF to MAP conversion - one resistor needs to be removed and one wire soldered inside the ECU, the rest is software.
                    No extra sensors are needed.
                    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Good to know thanks, can you tune ecu off the car ? ie by post... or do you need the car aswell.

Comment

Once I release all the data, there is no reason why the cars can't be remote tuned.
                        Someone will need to do the ECU mods (solder MAP sensor, wire, resistor), and the car still needs WBO2.

Also once everything is open, I am sure there will be other people who can tune these things...
                        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                          Those that "can do" speed density on the stock ECU all use my code. Which, if you wait another week will be open to all anyway.

As for the MAF to MAP conversion - one resistor needs to be removed and one wire soldered inside the ECU, the rest is software.
                          No extra sensors are needed.
                          kudos for you!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
                            Once I release all the data, there is no reason why the cars can't be remote tuned.
                            Someone will need to do the ECU mods (solder MAP sensor, wire, resistor), and the car still needs WBO2.

Also once everything is open, I am sure there will be other people who can tune these things...
                            Can't wait, thank you the time you've put into this .

Comment

Working...
                            X