ABY Oil Pressure switches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Oil Pressure switches.

Hi. Eventually found an elusive oil leak on my 1995 ABY S2 - 120,000 miles. The F1 oil pressure switch (056 919 081 E) was leaking badly. New switch ordered from Quattro Corner. Also purchased new F22 oil pressure switch (035 919 561). Both fitted in original locations - F22 above F1. Necessary to change F22 connectors from spade to ring, as new switch has ring connectors (original had spade connectors). All connected back up correctly - white/grey to F1, blue/black to WK on F22 and black/white to G on F22. Engine started - oil pressure at 5 bar from cold. Left to warm up. Red oil warning light and buzzer then displayed - oil pressure just under 2 bar on tickover (950 rpm). I understand that F1 is the 1.8 bar oil pressure switch which triggers a warning light. The F22 switch is the 0.3 bar oil pressure switch which also triggers a warning light and is also connected to the pressure gauge. I then spoke to RT Sport and they had 2 cars in the workshop with the F1 and F2 switches swapped around - F1 above F22. Tried swapping mine around as suggested and started engine - 5 bar from cold. Waited until engine warm - red oil warning light on again - just under 2 bar at tickover (950 rpm). A slight dab on the accelerator and the oil pressure rises and the light goes out.
    I have never had the red oil warning light on in the previous 6 years I have had the car - perhaps due to the leaking oil switch. Am I right in thinking that this is normal, as the oil pressure will be on/around the 1.8 bar at tickover which would trigger the F1 switch ? Any thoughts or advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Read this (written for AANs but basically the same for ABY and ADU):

20VT Oil Pressure Sender, Switches, Wiring and Check Valves (with UPDATES):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/96161.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Your combined gauge / pressure switch sender (cotton reel) is faulty, or more likely good ol’ Pete has mugged you off with the incorrect part (since it is supposed to have spade terminals).
      If you search the forum this is quite a common problem. I have made a thread about a VDO replacement which works 100%
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I had seen this thread and understood that the F1 (1.8 bar) pressure switch should trigger when both oil pressure is below 1.8 bar and revs below 2000/2200 rpm. My autocheck/F1 switch seems to be operating correctly with warning light on when pressure below 1.8 bar at tickover (as mentioned in the quattroworld forum link, it should come on if pressure below 1.8 bar @2000/2200 rpm). My question remains - is mine operating correctly, or is my tickover oil pressure slightly low - if I increase tickover slightly, then oil pressure will be above 1.8 bar.

Comment

Thanks error404 - will have a look at your thread.

Comment

1.8bar switch should only trigger the warning above 2000rpm or thereabouts. Below that the 0.3bar switch is the culprit.
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks Error404. I am getting the warning at tickover - pressure gauge is showing just below 2 bar, so this would seem to imply that the pressure gauge could be faulty, or that whatever triggers the 2000 rpm setting when pressure below 1.8 bar is faulty. I think that the pressure switches (1.8 and 0..3 bar are working fine, it just that the 1.8 bar limit is triggering at tickover rather than 2000 rpm. Will see if I still have the old combined gauge/pressure switch sender and try this.

Comment

The F1 is supposed to CLOSE when the pressure is above ca 1.8 bar (if switch 068919081 is used) . If the rpm is above 2000 rpm and the F1 is not closed the system will display a low pressure alarm.

I would guess the pressure switch in the F22 unit is supposed to OPEN when the pressure is above 0.3 bar (do not know this for sure).
                Last edited by Dynasty; 21 November 2017, 13:39.

Comment

I'd be refitting the original F22 - there was no need to change that.. Check the markings on the new F1 to confirm you have the right one
                  Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

... and check your wiring, for vehicles with aux gauges there is a blue single connector for the oil pressure switch near the firewall, which in my case is somewhat faulty, I clean it up and the problem goes away for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                      ... and check your wiring, for vehicles with aux gauges there is a blue single connector for the oil pressure switch near the firewall, which in my case is somewhat faulty, I clean it up and the problem goes away for a while
                      So a single flat pin connector with a black/white wire going in and a blue/white wire going out?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I refitted the original F22 with the new F1 - all now working as it should. As the old saying goes - if it ain't broke, then don't fix it !!

Comment

that's a good result. sounds like the replacement f22 is the wrong one.
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Another so called “OEM” part from quattro corner
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                            X