X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine balancing

Recommend me a good place to balance engine assembly in
    Herts ​​​​​or Bucks.

Vibration Free near Buckingham - Steve is your man tell him Alex sent you he will look after you
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'm watching with interest - this is in the plan for my next engine...

Is your recommendation from personal experience of the service? crank, damper, rods, pistons, rings, bearings and flywheel?

I'm not going super high revving or mega power etc (its only a 7A) but i have been using a ford recently with EcoBoost engine, it is actually quite impressive for 1.0L 3 cylinder unit. I'm struck with how rough it makes my 7A seem, the eco boost is as quiet and smooth whether it is doing 2000 or 6000rpm and it sounds alright too as at the end of the day it is half of a V6!

with a new build on the cards, it makes sense to go for balancing to try and get improvements in smoothness.
      Last edited by steve briance; 6 December 2017, 19:14.

Comment

Experience. Steve did my bottom end and we use him a lot for engine builds at work. He’s an engineer not a blagger
        He will balance the 5 cylinder correctly as an assembly not by using bob weights and guessed correction factors. Not cheap but you get what you pay for
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'll get in touch when the time comes! sounds like a reputation based on results rather than flannel and that is something i don't mind paying for.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
            I'm watching with interest - this is in the plan for my next engine...

Is your recommendation from personal experience of the service? crank, damper, rods, pistons, rings, bearings and flywheel?

I'm not going super high revving or mega power etc (its only a 7A) but i have been using a ford recently with EcoBoost engine, it is actually quite impressive for 1.0L 3 cylinder unit. I'm struck with how rough it makes my 7A seem, the eco boost is as quiet and smooth whether it is doing 2000 or 6000rpm and it sounds alright too as at the end of the day it is half of a V6!

with a new build on the cards, it makes sense to go for balancing to try and get improvements in smoothness.
            My dad has the 1.0l Ecoboost too, I think it's a great little engine, sounds like a Triumph street triple when you give it the beans!!
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

for what its worth I never had mine balanced as a full assembly but had the pistons skimmed and scat and pistons together weight matched.

the engine was/is much smoother than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                He will balance the 5 cylinder correctly as an assembly not by using bob weights and guessed correction factors. Not cheap but you get what you pay for
                Can you Alex tell me more about this type of I5 balancing procedure? Every discussion/Google search I've found only suggests calculating bobweights and go from there I will have to balance my engine in the future and I don't know if anyone in Finland can do it how you mention. Surely the bobweight style balancing gets you in the ballpark and it's better than not balancing at all?

Comment

If you can find someone willing to sit down and actually calculate the bob weight then fine - there is some pretty involved calculus. No one I’ve ever spoke to did anything other than use an assumed bob weight, and no scientific method for determining it.
                  By balancing the whole bottom assembly, in the block you balance it in its natural habitat, no correction factors or bob weights - you use the actual components. The only thing you do is account for the mass of the ring set, which you stick on the piston. Requires a special rig rather than a convention machine though
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Antsa, call these guys: Sporttiauto
                    They know what they do and answer any questions you might have. Very professional and helpful people.

Comment

Don’t use jnl

Comment

Originally posted by jsws3
                        Don’t use jnl
                        Why? I'm interested.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                          Why? I'm interested.

Don’t want to go into it I’ll be here all night

Comment

Very civil of you mate
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by jsws3

Don’t want to go into it I’ll be here all night
                              Ok fair enough. Sometimes people just don't get on together? JP at jnl has done some good work for me in the past, Inc 2 stroker engine balancing, 1 race head with oversized valves, another recon head with 7a water manifold work, and baffled sumps. All has gone pretty much to plan, and when there has been a glitch he communicates the issues and we work through them.

Anyhow, just my impression of jnl racing. I would use him again tomorrow... Yours clearly differ.

Comment

Working...
                              X