Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HX35 Oil restrictor

Hi folks,

I'm building a HX35/K26 for my UrS4 AAN.

I have searched on this forum and on the web but I didn't find any definitive answer.

Do I need to install an oil restrictor to run the HX35 in AAN engine?

Another question: What size should be be the return line? Is the stock good enough?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Rafael
    92' UrS4 2.2T
    89' 80 Quattro 2.3 20v
    93' 80 1.9 TDI
    92' 100 2.5 TDI
    99' Cabriolet 1.9 TDI

I'm going to be doing the same install hopefully sooner then later. I also had the same questions and found my answer by calling Cummins directly and asking them. they advised me that the HX35 turbo at a minimum requires a 19mm or 3/4 inch ID drain line with no restrictor. that is what I did. I ordered the Cummins drain line and will modify it to fit. the flanges are the same as a normal T3 and will mount to the side of an AAN block.

I did a lot of digging in to other holset applications and found that the results varied with other methods. some guys say they run a restrictor and a AN10 line for drain, some guys will run a AN12 drain with no restrictor. some turbo's blow up and some don't. I figured if I followed the OEM setup for that turbo I will better off then trying to make something work. this turbo requires a lot of oil which means it requires a large drain.

the parts were cheap from Cummins. I ordered 2 hard drain lines and will cut off the flanges and use the flanges with SS braided line of the recommended ID to connect the 2.

PN -3947716 - connection turbo oil drain x2
    PN- 5264568 - gasket oil drain x2

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Looks like I should do a 19mm return line.

I still need to find out if I need to install a oil restrictor on the input and if so, what size.
      92' UrS4 2.2T
      89' 80 Quattro 2.3 20v
      93' 80 1.9 TDI
      92' 100 2.5 TDI
      99' Cabriolet 1.9 TDI

Comment

I would not install a restrictor. 19mm drain will allow the oil to return to the block with out blowing the seals. not enough oil and the bearings will die and to much will cause seals to blow. go with the normal AN4 feed and 19mm drain and you will be good.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Are you using k26-6 housing?
          92' UrS4 2.2T
          89' 80 Quattro 2.3 20v
          93' 80 1.9 TDI
          92' 100 2.5 TDI
          99' Cabriolet 1.9 TDI

Comment

Morris400, IIRC the stock return line hole on the engine block have about 16mm ID. What do you gonna do about that?
            92' UrS4 2.2T
            89' 80 Quattro 2.3 20v
            93' 80 1.9 TDI
            92' 100 2.5 TDI
            99' Cabriolet 1.9 TDI

Comment

I'm going to measure to be sure but if its 16mm it should be ok. 16mm is still larger then the common used AN 10 and AN12 lines. and the flange will bolt up. am going to be using a 12cm non WG housing. I have everything for the install minus the DP and tune and fuel pump. its one of those things where im getting all the little issues sorted out before I go to the new turbo, the tune will be the last thing I get just incase I decide to change my upgrade path.

Comment

Working...
              X