Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this squealing noise on startup? (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this squealing noise on startup? (video)

My ABY coupe has a 'belt' squeal noise when starting from cold - a video is attached.
    Some squealing can also be heard sometimes when increasing revs during the first 30 to 60 seconds of the engine running, but it goes away after that, and does not squeal on startup if the engine has recently been running, only if the engine has been off for a number of hours.

A change of all belts (timing belt, alternator belt, PAS belt, Air Conditioning belt) water pump and relay roller at the last service did not solve issue (the squeal was there before and after the service).

Any ideas on likely causes or troubleshooting steps?

Attached Files

Maybe after sitting for a while the battery has discharged a little and is drawing more amps from alternator after starting engine ?...…...so alternator is working harder.

Comment

Almost certainly alternator belt - did you tighten it after it was changed? Mine was changed last year and needed almost an inch of slack taken up after "bedding in".
      Last edited by SwallownAmazon; 28 May 2018, 11:37. Reason: Spullin

Comment

Mouse - any luck fixing this issue? Mine does the same. Thanks

Comment

No, still does it. I had the belt tension checked and apparently all ok but still squeals a bit

Comment

I had the same and I thought the belt was tight enough. My VAG mechanic corrected me. The ribbed belt needs to be drum tight to function properly.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

You could easily eilimate / identify the alternator belt causing the squeak by taking it off.

No squeak when conditions say it should and there is your problem

Comment

Working...
              X