Head Gasket Coolant Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket Coolant Leak?

My long running coolant leak saga continues. I have not been able to get to the bottom of it yet this year. On Saturday I refitted the Cat's in preparation for my MOT, and had another good look for the coolant leak. Unfortunately it is not the turbo coolant return hose. I cannot eyeball the leak but what I can see is that there is a drip from under the exhaust manifold somewhere, more or less in line with the second cylinder from the firewall forwards. It then drips down onto the engine mounting bracket / arm below that, before running down onto the starter motor / oil cooler area.

Does anyone have experience of head gasket external leaks and does this sound like one? I can't see or think of anything else it could be, but I can't see into that area to actually diagnose the leak once and for all.

Advice and suggestions welcome. (I don't really want to have to strip the car and take the head off if i can help it, but i think taking the engine apart maybe my only option now.)

Thanks,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

sounds like maybe turbo water coolant. there is a core plug with a fitting there. check it out maybe.

Comment

Thanks, anyone got a picture or image of where I need to look? The area in question seems impossible to access easily!

The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

It is literally right above the top of the oil thermostat housing mate
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

My core plug went and your description of the location sounds pretty much the same. They are hard to see. Take the undertray off and look above the engine mount. I had to remove my starter motor to get to the one that was leaking on my motor. Good luck, it's a pain to get to them with the motor in the car.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

My head gasket is leaking from this area very slightly fingers crossed it stays external for now only noticed it on changing the oil filter and noticed traces of coolant running down it

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
              My core plug went and your description of the location sounds pretty much the same. They are hard to see. Take the undertray off and look above the engine mount. I had to remove my starter motor to get to the one that was leaking on my motor. Good luck, it's a pain to get to them with the motor in the car.
              Thanks Steve, next time I am under there I will start taking it apart and see if I can see anything!

Cheers,

Fatty
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                My head gasket is leaking from this area very slightly fingers crossed it stays external for now only noticed it on changing the oil filter and noticed traces of coolant running down it
                Not good news, I hope I can avoid this fate. Best of luck Rikki

Cheers

Steve
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  It is literally right above the top of the oil thermostat housing mate
                  Thanks Alex, i haven't forgotten I have your spare hose. When I took a look at the weekend, i am fairly certain it isn't the hose you supplied me. Once this saga is over and I know for sure, I will send it back if not needed.

The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

No worries mate, no rush
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Steve,

I got a wireless borescope for around £20 off Amazon
                      Tracing a power a steering leak on another car, worked really well and you can record and take pictures as well.
                      Wish I had got the 1080p one though.

Comment

I have a USB fibreoptic scope you can borrow if it helps Steve?
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

My avant ran perfectly for about 3-4 years with a head gasket coolant leak. It was only when I decided that it was time to eliminate that as an issue did I realise that’s where my coolant leak was unfortunately. I think I was lucky in all the time it leaked tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            I have a USB fibreoptic scope you can borrow if it helps Steve?
                            Thanks Alex. I have tried using a £10 ebay usb fibrescope but could not point it in the right direction to see enough. The MOT man agreed with me on Saturday that it is likely the head gasket given that the fluid is coming out rusty, As it is a small leak he suggested I try one of the coolant stop leak additives. The liquid ones are supposed to be a lot less likely to cause any long term damage. This is something I am considering...

Cheers,

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                              My avant ran perfectly for about 3-4 years with a head gasket coolant leak. It was only when I decided that it was time to eliminate that as an issue did I realise that’s where my coolant leak was unfortunately. I think I was lucky in all the time it leaked tbh.
                              Cheers, It has been 12 months so far and it has not got that much worse. I know it will need doing properly one day though..
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X