Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmac78 View Post
    Alright guys.

Pressure tested from the MAF today and found a leak from number 5 injector seat. I have never noticed this before and is audible in a quiet garage from quite a low pressure say 0.2 bar. With soapy water sprayed on it, it bubbles until any residual pressure has depleted.

What's the best course of action for this, the engine was still warm after a wee spin this morning so tried to nip it up, however i didn't put too much effort into it as I'm afraid the seat will shatter which I don't want happening today.

The seat looks in good condition, can't see any visible cracks but the leak is from UK passenger side of the car. The injectors that were in it are my newly refurbed OEM RS2 with new O rings etc so no issues there.

Where can I buy seats from if required?

Cheers
    I have four off spare brand new plastic ones left over from a group buy (just not FIVE) which you are welcome to buy if you want to replace one or two...
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

I have four off spare brand new plastic ones left over from a group buy (just not FIVE) which you are welcome to buy if you want to replace one or two...
      Cheers for the offer fella, I might just take you up on that.

I could do with a full set really so think I'll try to source that first of all, failing that I'll certainly purchase the four you've got and look for a fifth elsewhere.

What kind of symptoms did you have when these seats were leaking? I'm just wondering if this is actually what's causing my hesitant small throttle condition?

Comment

I have a set of five unused stainless steel inserts I purchased from another Forum member who had a few sets machined up to a very high standard a while back to install in my IM, while the current ones are in perfectly good condition (they were replaced 100K ago when the Nothelle conversion was carried out) I figured I may as well fit new ones to future proof the car and the SS replacements seem like the perfect solution. They are for sale at the moment for £50 + P&P, as that build is no longer going ahead they surplus to my requirements, they a direct replacement for the stock items.

As you know these engines hate boost leaks and it could be the cause of your problems, though without having a look myself I couldn't say for certain. However what I can say is my despite the slack in the drive train manifesting itself with a clunk on take off from the rear diff my 3B was very smooth running a full RS2 set up which I spent ages getting leak free (testing too 1.5 bar) including fitting new O-Ring to the injectors as I was getting the same minor leakage around the seats, in my case the new rings sorted it as the inserts were in perfectly good condition.

One a totally unrelated subject I have found the sunroof surround I was supposed to send you when you did away with your rotten glass roof and fitted my old complete solid sunroof.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
          I have a set of five unused stainless steel inserts I purchased from another Forum member who had a few sets machined up to a very high standard a while back to install in my IM, while the current ones are in perfectly good condition (they were replaced 100K ago when the Nothelle conversion was carried out) I figured I may as well fit new ones to future proof the car and the SS replacements seem like the perfect solution. They are for sale at the moment for £50 + P&P, as that build is no longer going ahead they surplus to my requirements, they a direct replacement for the stock items.

As you know these engines hate boost leaks and it could be the cause of your problems, though without having a look myself I couldn't say for certain. However what I can say is my despite the slack in the drive train manifesting itself with a clunk on take off from the rear diff my 3B was very smooth running a full RS2 set up which I spent ages getting leak free (testing too 1.5 bar) including fitting new O-Ring to the injectors as I was getting the same minor leakage around the seats, in my case the new rings sorted it as the inserts were in perfectly good condition.

One a totally unrelated subject I have found the sunroof surround I was supposed to send you when you did away with your rotten glass roof and fitted my old complete solid sunroof.
          Hi Kit, thanks for the offer of the injector inserts, I may need them alright, however I think I have stumbled across the problem and not an item I thought would be an issue.

At the end of last year I ordered a new Lambda sensor due to fouling the previous one with my badly leaking valve stem seals. At the time I was getting a lambda code (can't rem what it was now) but thought it was due to the thick smoke I was spewing out the exhaust.

Anyhow I ordered a new sensor from Lambda power who I have purchased from in the past with no issues. On placing the order against an ABY sensor (3B was not listed but the same sensor I believe?) I received an email saying the following.

Hi Gordon

Thanks for your order

The LSH-6 has been discontinued.

Bosch have superceded it to another part called LSH-24. If you go to any online store this is what you will get, and i can supply that if you like.

However, the car is supposed to have an LSH6. I have a very small quantity of new old stock Volkswagen LSH6 3-wire sensors here. The difference is the spade connector has a slightly wider rubber boot, so you might wish to heatshrink it in place if it needs splashproofing. However, the point of this extra work is you get a real genuine LSH6.

LSH6 and LSH24 have a slight response difference ; i have never measured this accurately on the workbench (it takes a whole afternoon to run a gas response test) , but i know from experience it's enough of a difference to upset *some* old VW vehicles using throttle body injection.

Please let me know which option you would prefer. If it were my Coupe, i'd have the LSH-6, as many of these older injection systems use the lambda to directly control injector pulse, ie. it doesn't get digitally signal conditioned first, so the response curve is very important.

Now then, when I received the recommended LSH-6 sensor I simply fitted it and didn't check out the part number on it. The car was not used much really over the winter until recently and have been suffering from this hesitation/stumble since. Due to running out of things to check I swapped the old sensor back in, low and behold the car is running so much smoother now, the hesitation/stumble on small throttle openings is all but gone. However the previous sensor is an NTK make so not perhaps exactly what the car requires, should be a Bosch sensor according to Lambda power. The NTK sensor was fouled badly so quite possibly not operating as it should. The Bosch sensor I received is part number 0258 003 936/036. It's got Audi/ VW stampings on it too. Am I right is saying this is not the correct sensor for a 3B?

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Sorry for the slow response.. My lap-top got a Virus over the weekend and I've had to re-install windows 8 three times to as well as purchase antivirus software be 100% sure I'm rid of it, my emails were getting hacked and I was receiving daily phone calls phish for the vital last bit of information hackers require to get full access to system. I've literally just sorted it now.

Anyway, I too was always under the impression that the 3B and ABY Lambda sensor were basically the same, just a slightly different part number, Personally I wouldn't use any brand other than Bocsh for this component which I replaced on my car so 30K miles ago, I can check the part number in the morning and see what I got sent, I'm sure it's not the same as the original 3B item as it it has about a foot of excess cable. However it never gave me any bother or code's, I can even remove it from the down pipe and send it too you if you'd rather use my old one as I'm 100% sure it worked perfectly on my 3B.

Is the one in the pic your original sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                Sorry for the slow response.. My lap-top got a Virus over the weekend and I've had to re-install windows 8 three times to as well as purchase antivirus software be 100% sure I'm rid of it, my emails were getting hacked and I was receiving daily phone calls phish for the vital last bit of information hackers require to get full access to system. I've literally just sorted it now.

Anyway, I too was always under the impression that the 3B and ABY Lambda sensor were basically the same, just a slightly different part number, Personally I wouldn't use any brand other than Bocsh for this component which I replaced on my car so 30K miles ago, I can check the part number in the morning and see what I got sent, I'm sure it's not the same as the original 3B item as it it has about a foot of excess cable. However it never gave me any bother or code's, I can even remove it from the down pipe and send it too you if you'd rather use my old one as I'm 100% sure it worked perfectly on my 3B.

Is the one in the pic your original sensor?
                Hi Kit,

I spoke with the chap from Lambda power yesterday, to be honest he was a bit off with me phoning and questioning the sensor I bought in October last year. I was being perfectly civil to the guy, was just phoning for a chat to see if he could help me with my query regarding the Bosch sensor he sent.

According to him the part number can be different as all that corresponds to is what kind of electrical connection is on it, cable length etc. The important part is that the sensor is an LSH-6 which is what was on the these cars originally, and can no longer be bought as they have been superceeded with a sensor that is not quite the same response rates etc.

The NTK one which has been in my car for the last 8 years is the wrong type. I fitted this after I bought the car and was none the wiser, purchased it from Dingbros so just assumed they would have given me the right one.

Strange thing is the car is smoother with this sensor in it, perhaps it's because it was fouled and not operating as quickly as it should. I'm just not sure, however I swapped the Bosch one back in yesterday and the stumble/hesitation is definitely more noticeable. Perhaps the NTK one is masking a problem elsewhere??

I very much doubt the Bosch sensor is at fault as it's done very little miles since fitting it. Also i get no codes with either sensor. If I disconnect the lambda completely I can still feel the hesitation issue so I must have an issue elsewhere, it's just the NTK sensor seems to smooth it out. Very strange!!

Out of interest what part number is on your sensor?
                Cheers

Comment

I've got no idea on response times under discussion but I have recently had a new lambda probe on my 7a engine. The outgoing sensor was clearly slow as it was sampling gas around 6 times a second. The new one was twice that. (not totally sure it was a measure per second but the point is the old one was slow) The bit that might be relevant was that the new bosch was 4 wire and old bosch 3 wire. Apparently the only difference is the 4th wire is an earth that was combined with another wire on the old sensor. I added a ring terminal to earth that wire and away we go - a fully fit sensor for a lot less money than the 3 wire ones were.

Comment

Out of interest i engulfed no 5 injector area with propane from a hand held burner to see if my idle would change, and it didn't appear to make any difference. However whilst under pressure bubbles could be seen leaking with soapy water at very little pressure. So although I may be loosing a small amount of boost here, whilst the engine is under vacuum it doesn't appear to be drawing in additional air. I guess I can rule this out as a contributing factor to my running issue.

Comment

Oh dear that sounds like poor customer service, I'll be giving them a miss in future.

If my memory serves me correctly I got my replacement from Quattro Corner to be sure I got one that would be correct for the engine. However cardcrash got extremely lucky and managed to purchase the exact Bosch sensor required from a random eBay seller to replace the one installed in the Blue RS2 he sold last year, up until then he'd been running the spare I have left over from my 3B (I kept the old one), his being covered in white/grey deposits from a blown head gasket which was causing a couple of fault codes.

I too doubt that the Bosch sensor is at fault as long as it hasn't been contaminated in anyway, ie excessive carbon deposits, shed loads un-burnt fuel or coolant from a blown head gasket, the latter being obvious as the sensor will have heavy (almost furry) off white/grey deposits, I believe light off white/grey deposits can also be caused by an engine that's running very hot and lean... I don't think any of those apply to yours, however the one in the pic you posted is quite different in colour to mine with what looks to be light deposits of a brown colour, the one in my down pipe is a dark grey colour with no deposits at all.

After a lot of squinting I managed to read the details on mine which are as follows... Bosch 1 SH 24 on one line with the part No 0258 003 957 on the line bellow. As I say it has about a foot of extra cable so is obviously a compatible replacement as I had no problems with it at all.

Comment

Hmm that's interesting with regards to the colour of the sensor tip, something I hadn't thought about actually. Not sure why that would be. I know up here the fuel is brought on the island as 95 RON and additive is added to it, to bring it up to 97 RON which is sold at the pumps. Perhaps something to do with that. I think my plugs are normally a reddish kind of colour too, they've always been like that from what I can remember.

Your part number is the correct Lambda number for our cars so I'd certainly be interested to try it if that's ok. I just don't know if the guy at Lamdapower was fobbing me off with dodgy info when I queried him, I don't think so as he's been quite helpful in the past but would be good to try the correct sensor part number to see if there's any difference. Just strange it drives better with the NTK one.

If you unplug your lambda, how does your car drive at small throttle openings?

On a side note, could you send me a pic of the sunroof surround you found, I'm not sure if it's the part that I'm still outstanding.

Cheers fella

Comment

I'll have to borrow a mates vice and Lambda socket, the F'ecker is well in there, I'm kinda working for him this week so should be able to get it removed before the weekend.

I'll have to carry it too work as my previously trusty 80Q died (30 year old K-Jet problems) run out of MOT and is off the road and my RS2 is halfway through having a brake rebuild ready for the summer. I got a bit fat after my fall down the stairs so I've decided to go a couple of months without a car so I have to walk everywhere as it's only a mile to the local shop, my folks and most of my mates are within three miles and I can get a lift too the post office twice a week when my mother goes shopping. I've nearly lost half a stone over the past few day's alone and feel much more healthy.

I'll try and post a pic of the sunroof surround in the next 24 hours, got to find the cable for my camera.... Again.

I'm going to have to join the 21st century and get a mobile phone soon.

Comment

He he quality!!! No rush on my behalf, can't have you walking around sporting a downpipe as a fashion accessory!!!! I'm busy doing up a Noggy B5 S4 Avant so that is keeping me busy most days. I have a wee play with the S2 in between but will get to the bottom of this annoying running issue at some point.

But yes, a modern mobile phone will make life a lot easier for you. I don't go far without mine, feel lost without it!!

Keep that step count up now!!!

Comment

Alright chaps, well it's almost a year now since my last post on this matter, I've been busy with several other projects in the mean time and the S2 has been barged up. MOT'd it today so out and about once again. So, I never did get to the bottom off this stumble on small throttle opening whilst in vacuum and quite frankly it's ruining my driving experience. I have not fixed the leaking injector seat that I found last year so I must do this as priority.

For those who have replaced leaking injector seats, can you describe to me what symptoms, if any, you were experiencing prior to changing them?

Any help much appreciated.

Comment

Hi , I've just recently replaced the injector seats on my 3b and although it wasn't noticeable before it feels like it idles better now and has a tad more boost on wot , however what I have found is that once you run higher boost the factory gap settings for the plugs go out of the window and it's just a case playing with them until the engine feels happy

Comment

Working...
                                X