Audi S2/RS2 not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2/RS2 not starting

Hi! Trying to start my RS2 that i bought with the engine in pieces. Everything went smooth until start up when i recognized i had no fuel going through the injectors.

These are the sympthoms:
    Fuel injectors won't open up when cranking (N83, N31, N32, N33, N30)

Engine coolant temp (G62) Shows an incorrect value of temp, -49c even if i unplugg the sender (tried 3 different sensors with the same result (-49c).

Engine oil pressure gauge (in cabin) was showing 0 before i cranked the oil pressure up to 2,5 bar, now when i turn ignition on it always shows 2,5 bar.. Strange i think, but maybe nothing to do with the ECU.

End of faults.

The list of things i'v checked is long, but hopfully i will remember everything.

Starting with the fuel issue:

1. I have spark at all 5 cyl, therefore i think the G4, G28 and G40 is ok and the J17 (fuel pump relay should pull "wich it does"). If the G40 and G4 wouldn't work i had no spark? right? or is this the first fail i have?

2. I have fuel at the rail when cranking, the connections (Pressure side/Return) are checked so i didn't put them wrong. Fuel pump relay (J17) is therefore working, otherwise the relay woulden't pull?
    The J17 needs to see that (Rpm is above 13rpm via G28(Engine Speed sensor), G40(Camshaft sensor) and G4 (Crank position sensor) is syncronised otherwise it would not trigger the earth to relay J17 (Fuel pump relay).

3. Earth (outputs) (INJ 5, 16/55, INJ 2 17/55, INJ 3 34/55, INJ 4 35/55, INJ 1 36/55) via ECU connector is checked to each Fuelinjector to verify that it's not a faulty cable.

4. 12V DC is ok with all 5 Injecotors when ignition is on, so "Holding relay" is ok, and so is the cables, measured to ground on the intake. Also 12V DC when cranking the engine when the J17 puts separate 12V to the injectors.

5. Fuel pump is producing fuel (not yet to measured the pressure or the flow) but it flows gas through the fuel rail.

6. Ground "0V" on the ECU connector have been checked with the ECU connector (off) the ECU, to chassie ground, these are the results: Pin-10/55 0ohm, 14/55 0ohm, 19/55 0ohm, 24/55 0ohm, 30/55 18Mohm, 48/55 0,9Kohm.
    From what i have understand the ground 30/55 and 48/55 pin gets their earth from either 10/55,14/55,19/55 or 24/44 pin around the ECU and out again to the sensors.. When i measured on the pins on the ECU 14/55 and 30/55 i get 0ohm, also 48/55 and 19/55 i get 0ohms so the ECU is letting trough the earth connections to the sensors. I have a good Earth connection between all 0V DC connections. But why doesen't the injectors fire?

7- If i do an output test via VAG-COM, N71 (Idling control valve), N75 (Boost control valve), and (N80 Evaporate cole canister) is clicking and seems to work, while the Fuelinjectors won't make a sound. I tried with a set of other
    fuel injectors, but it is the same.

Now on to my Colant temp sensor (G62):

1. When i look at the sensor via VAG-COM it shows me the value of -49c.. Of course this is wrong, even if i live in Sweden I tried 3 different sensors with the same measure.

2. The 5V is ok to the sensor while ignition is on.

3. Earth is ok with the connector to the ECU connected via pin 30.

4. -49c is still present even if i disconnect the sensor, heat the sensor, or changing sensor, nothing helps.

5. There is plenty of other sensors/inputs to the ECU connected to this "earth" circuit, same as the G62, an they are working, for ex Throttle position sender/Idle switch, knock sensor 1,2, Baro metric sensor, coding card slot "driving measures displayed in the dash", and the intake air temp sensor (This i cant look at/se the values through VAG-COM) but i get no fault codes on eiter of the sensors.

Other things: Tried an AAN ECU, with exacly the same faults, so i belive its not an ECU fault. No fault codes from ECU other than "G28 Engine Speed sensor" wich we get everytime when the engine not spinning..

I have read and searched as much as i can, but now im dead in the water. It is sure an easy fault to fix, but hard to find. So now im asking you guys for help.
    Been working on my engine rebuild for the last 8 months and i really want to fire up the engine. Have any one had the same issues?
    Happy to buy a set of beer to the guy that comes with the sulution to my problems So let the game begin!
    Best regards// André from Sweden

Hello André.
    Have you coated engine, cylinder head or inlet manifold? Is there a problem with the Ground for your injection valves?
    408kw @ wheel

Comment

Very strange... it should start with that info.
      What are the symptoms of a no-start due to an immobilizer-block?

And have you started the engine with spraying some carb cleaner into the intake to at least check it's running mechanically ok?

Comment

Agree with the above! Does sound like injector grounding. I beleieve this is one of the cables attached to the inlet manifold, so it might be worth testing to there to make sure they have a good earth. Not sure whether the measurement from 30/55 was a typo? Isn't that one of the major earths?
        The odd reading from the G62 is something to do with the car not running so I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
        Avantus has raised an interesting point. What ecu variant are you running? I guess he is wondering if you are running an immoboliser ecu in an unimmobolised car. If you have been unfortunate to use another immobolised ecu to test then the results would be the same.
        So concentrate on earthing particularly at the inlet. You could try attaching a jumper lead from the engine to the chassis temporarily to improve earthing. Strangely looking at an a pic of an RS2 alternator recently there appeared to be a earthing cable attached to the alternator mount. Can't remember if thats stock or not!

It looks like the earth for the injectors is pin 14. Perhaps it is not making a good contact with the ecu. Make sure it hasn't been pushed back into the connector housing too far.
        Last edited by twoqu; 19 July 2019, 12:30.

Comment

Fuse 26 ok ? your injectors don't pulse with vcds so they're not getting the signal
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
            Fuse 26 ok ? your injectors don't pulse with vcds so they're not getting the signal
            Fuse 26? Can't find what it is. 28 for fuel injectors? Thats allright.
            what if it's a immobiliser problem? What would that cause for problems? I don't get any fault codes on that but maybe worth checking. I have this ECU:
            RS2 ADU: Bosch 0 261 203 478 VW Teile Nummer: 8A0 907 551

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
              Agree with the above! Does sound like injector grounding. I beleieve this is one of the cables attached to the inlet manifold, so it might be worth testing to there to make sure they have a good earth. Not sure whether the measurement from 30/55 was a typo? Isn't that one of the major earths?
              The odd reading from the G62 is something to do with the car not running so I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
              Avantus has raised an interesting point. What ecu variant are you running? I guess he is wondering if you are running an immoboliser ecu in an unimmobolised car. If you have been unfortunate to use another immobolised ecu to test then the results would be the same.
              So concentrate on earthing particularly at the inlet. You could try attaching a jumper lead from the engine to the chassis temporarily to improve earthing. Strangely looking at an a pic of an RS2 alternator recently there appeared to be a earthing cable attached to the alternator mount. Can't remember if thats stock or not!

It looks like the earth for the injectors is pin 14. Perhaps it is not making a good contact with the ecu. Make sure it hasn't been pushed back into the connector housing too far.
              I have good earth on pin 14, but yes I will check everything again when I get home. Posted the ECU number so maybe some one can verify it has immobiliser or not.
              The car was running with this ECU when the guy before owned it. And VCDS shows thats it is a rs2 box.

Comment

RS2 ADU: Bosch 0 261 203 478 = 8A0 907 551 B
                Well that should be unimmo. Is that what VCDS says it is? Really it is the sw on the chip that will decide rather than the label on the ecu!
                Hopefully it something along the lines as suggested above - a bad contact between the loom and ecu at the connector.

Comment

Indeed fuse 28. my bad eyesight - sorry. as you were
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                    RS2 ADU: Bosch 0 261 203 478 = 8A0 907 551 B
                    Well that should be unimmo. Is that what VCDS says it is? Really it is the sw on the chip that will decide rather than the label on the ecu!
                    Hopefully it something along the lines as suggested above - a bad contact between the loom and ecu at the connector.
                    I will check the sw when I get home. Cab you see through VCDS if you have immo or not?

Comment

VCDS will read the ecu part number and s/w version. Not sure if you've checked this, but are you seeing switched 12v at pin 37 on your ecu when cranking
                      Mike

Comment

I don't think so. But if the ecu field said 551C that might indicate an issue. Of course anybody could write anything with a hex editor. If it looks like the ecu has not been opened then its probably not an issue. I also would be interested to know what the immo actually does but I guess thtas for another thread.
                        If the car worked before and the same components have been used then it should work now subject to finding the fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                          VCDS will read the ecu part number and s/w version. Not sure if you've checked this, but are you seeing switched 12v at pin 37 on your ecu when cranking
                          Will check that. What is the pin 37 for?
                          Also here is a picture of my ECU connected to VCDS.
                          45764-5a6be945cb6e5f6e2bc260a5e5048f1c.jpg

Comment

That seems to support an non immo ecu so the issue is elsewhere.

Comment

http://s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/schema..._aby/page5.png - pin 37 is switched 12v at the ecu for the injectors
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X