Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible oil starvation

Hi
    Ive noticed under hard acceleration I see the oil pressure gauge start to flicker, it’s mainly in 2nd gear is when I notice it under hard acceleration, it doesn’t drop off fully just half way and jumps about then back up to top of gauge when ease off. I’m at about 450hp in a road car never been on the track and have thappu sump plate installed. I’m Considering accusump. Has anyone else suffered this issue and what’s best way to resolve it? Any ideas appreciated.
    Cheers
    josh

Josh, I can supply a baffle set with Viton check flaps - it requires some cutting out of the original baffles and welding into the sump. Designed to work with the PKKM horizontal baffle.

image_67299.jpg

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks can you pm me a price. I can fit it no problem. Has it fixed similar issues?

Comment

Alex, how are those Forge viton flaps holding up? I have my sump off at the moment and was looking at a similar solution.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Josh, I’ll check my records and offer a price.
          The Viton flaps I have historically used are from Forge so you can buy them direct.

These are holding up well Steve, can’t find any problem with them.
          You can get the same flaps from a few places, Forge don’t make them, they just brand theirs and market them better on Google
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I would be checking the oil pump pressure relief valve and the spring, the spring could be weak after a lot of use. The valve could be worn or sticking on the side walls of its body.

Comment

Thanks. The one in the oil pump? Ive checked that valve and it looks fine. I was tempted to shim it up and see if it helped as I do only get 1.6bar ish oil pressure when red hot on tick over. but I recently had to replace the oil pump gasket that blew. Don’t want that to happen again.

Comment

1.6bar hot at idle is fine.
                The VDO gauges are not at all accurate, I log my oil pressure in MaxxECU and the VDO is normally around 2 bar out compared to the calibrated analog sensor at load.
                So I wouldn’t necessarily be concerned about a low reading on the VDO as long as it is stable. If the indicated pressure fluctuates then you have a problem.
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's some nice work Alex, fair play your coming up with great solutions to age old problems.

Also 1.6 hot idle is just fine, what weight oil are you using? 10W50 Fully Synthetic seems to suit these old engines well, though it kind of depends on what your using the car for and the ambient weather conditions.

I have a brand new OE windage tray and a pair of gaskets that need a home.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thanks Alex. 2bar! That’s way out! It Never fluctuates it’s always as predicted.
                    Hi K Simmonds. I am also using a Windage tray already. Fuchs Titan race pro s 5w40 oil. Thanks but we have a account at work for victor rienz stuff so I get a good deal. I don’t get out as often as I would like and you can’t push it to hard on the public roads as much as I would like to. when it’s ready and I get some extra baffling in the sump I might book a track day.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                      I have a brand new OE windage tray and a pair of gaskets that need a home.
                      Hi Kit... I am interested in the windage tray and gaskets... Looking at building up my spare sump with this oil management solution....
                      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

PM mate, their your's, I don't think they were very expensive.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

On track with decent rubber you can really see surge in pressure logs with the stock sump.
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Is it possible to change the sump without removing the subframe? I haven't checked, but it's tight... No?
                            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

You do need to remove the sub frame but it’s not a bad job. Quite easy just remove the lower ball joints from the hub support the gearbox remove gearbox mount bolts and remove the 4 subframe bolts and the arb links. Think that’s about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X