Fuel pump mounted in boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump mounted in boot?

My fuel pump on my type 85 CQ gets pretty rusty under the car.

So I was wondering if installing it in the boot would be a good idea ? And if anybody else is running a fuel pump in the boot on their cars too?
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

The S2 has it in the fuel tank maybe that would be an option

Comment

M,

I can think of a couple reasons why it may not be a great idea, although I share your concern for wanting to shelter the pump install from the elements.

a) Noise. If your B2 install is similar to B3 sedans, the stock combi filter / accumulator / pump mounting steel plate is 3-point rubber mounted to the area under rear seat where at least half the noise is directed away from the cabin;
      b) Firewall. AFAIK, (save for coupe-like in-tank mountings where it has a big steel panel over-top) stock pump locations are kept separate, often completely exterior to the cabin to help isolate you from the fuel and electricity; in the event of a crash; and
      c) Line leaks. By siting as much as possible outside the cabin (just like the long front to back under-floor fuel lines), there is less chance for a leak to the inside enclosed space, further reducing possible fuel hazards. Related to this are that with non-OEM installs, one sometimes sees improper wiring, clamps, hose, fittings, grommets and even tube, such as the use of soft copper lines to route fuel which would never pass scrutineering, as the copper will work-harden and fracture.

What I did was to (disconnect the battery and) take the stock install all off and all apart, clean, paint, rust proof, through-bolt the stock rubber mounts with new nylock-nutted hardware (it is then less isolated but still soft-mounted); and re-install.

Comment

I drive a lot of old triumphs were the fuel pump and accumulator is in the boot. Trust me the whine from the pump really gets on your nerves. I have also seen many where the wheel well etc is soaked in fuel.

Comment

Working...
        X