Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN Tuning/Turbo choice & drivability

When it comes to tuning the AAN,
    ​Is there an ideal or upper limit to how much Horse Power and Torque the AAN can be tuned up to while still maintaining good drivability?

In other words how far can you really go before the power you are making starts having a negative affect on your enjoyment of it as a road car?

I'm guessing there is a 'sweet spot' where it doesn't become a horribly peaky 'all or nothing' type experience with way too much turbo lag and ends up spoiling the enjoyment of driving it?

And following on from the above, what turbo setup and horse power would you guys recommended for taking it as far as it will go without causing those 'negative's' and spoiling the car

cheers
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

The Volvo K24 7400 accomplishes everything your after. Search on the forum, there have been a few threads.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

depends on what you want to achieve and how much you want ot shift the power up the rpm scale..
      i have run a larger turbo for around 10 years, perhaps more and its currently my daily. im on an aby in a 1991 b3 though. done around 50k on the setup so far. its what you would call laggy. its normal to me. pretty enjoyable however leaving it in gear letting modern motor pull away then reeling um in quick. with a lighter flywheel some of the issues of low down are erradicated. i have a 7a with some weight out of it. this in turn brings issues on how quick you need to row the gear lever.
      its all about compromise with turbo motors

Comment

Also down to your driving style and how you plan to use the car too. These cars are always going to be laggy to some extent if you chase more power. A more modern turbo certainly helps, around 330-420hp is a sweet spot IMHO for these cars.
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

As others have already noted, it's going to largely depend on your preferences.

I've heard that a large frame turbo like a GT3576r will flow more air than a smaller turbo in low rpm range (say 2000-3500 rpm) then have that huge hit in higher rpm range that a small turbo can't match. Thing is it feels anemic until you get to the boost peak.

I don't disagree with the suggestion of the Volvo turbo for a daily driver/road car. But it really depends on what rpm range you want to do the bulk of your driving. That will help you appropriately size your turbo. Your engine can only flow so much air at specific speeds, so you can really only effectively use a particular turbo at certain rpms.
          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Volvo turbo on stock engine. Its a great turbo and plug and play. I have one on my S4 and its really nice. Very stock feel great drivablity and reliability....and pulls hard when your on it.

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
              I've heard that a large frame turbo like a GT3576r will flow more air than a smaller turbo in low rpm range (say 2000-3500 rpm)
              And I know that is a load of BS.
              The flow of a turbo engine is not limited by the size of the turbo at low RPM.
              High RPM yes, low no. Especially when it's off boost.

2000-3500 rpm a car with a stock turbo and no boost will flow exactly the same as a car with a big turbo and no boost and also about the same as one where you remove the turbo altogether.
              If there was a flow choke on the stock turbo at low RPM then it wouldn't make any power whatsoever at higher revs.
              The difference is, that at 3500 rpm, the stock turbo will make a lot of boost if you let it run boost, the big turbo won't make nearly any boost, and the turboless car won't make any boost either.

To hit the max flow of the stock turbo at 3500 rpm, you're looking at a boost pressure of about 1.8 bar on the stock turbo.
              Is that reasonable? Certainly not. But claiming that some 3576 (which is btw an ancient turbo) will flow more at low RPM is implying that it will make more power at this rpm. Flow and power is nearly synonymous in an otto engine. And because we all know that power is dependent on RPM and torque, what you are saying essentially is. "A big turbo will make more torque at low rpm than a small one" - and I think we can all agree that this is 100% BS.

So before playing loose with the words "flow" "torque" and "power", take a little time and think what you are saying

EFR 7163 is about the max you would go to on a street driven car or probably the G550 series.
              TBH it's all about what you want to make it do. Bigger is not always better - and there is also something called "budget".
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Hey Dimitri,

Great post.

I almost instinctively follow your replies around the board to learn new things about autos in general and our 20vt based cars specifically.

Just a quick note to tell you that I did hear that bit about a large frame turbo (GT35r) flowing more than a small frame at low rpm from Hank and kind of passed it along as gospel. Haven't dug into the stats myself. You could very well be right on that point. Because of the context/timing of our conversation I just quoted the same turbo in question (maybe it was a 3582r, I can't recall exactly... and shouldn't really matter in this context), but not as what I'd prefer today. Of course, this was years ago and I could be remembering the conversation inaccurately. (I tried to search my email but came up short.)

When I was having those discussions with Hank, and others, I opted for the turbo I thought would give me the best driveability. I was the first that I can find in the 20vt world to secure an EFR7163 after playing around extensively with BorgWarner's MatchBot feature on their website.

These days I'd also look into a comparable Xona turbo. They do seem to be rather stout.

But as you said, budget is a factor. Neither the EFR nor Xona turbos are for most consumers.

Hence me recommending a K24-7400, on an off hand basis.
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by Morris400 View Post
                  Volvo turbo on stock engine. Its a great turbo and plug and play. I have one on my S4 and its really nice. Very stock feel great drivablity and reliability....and pulls hard when your on it.
                  Thank you for all the replys .

Out of interest, how much bhp/Torque are we looking at for the Volvo turbo unit?

Schrick 272 cam
                  C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                  ITG filter

Comment

Volvo turbo with drop in 11 balde compressor wheel should be around 300-330Whp. If you got oversized compressor wheel around 360whp. Tuning makes the difference. This is what Marc at EFI told me.

Comment

I have nowe some new style of the k24 7000 for sale .
                      new style 9 blade ex wheel and upgraded comp wheel .
                      teoretic 420 hp !!
                      very nice for road use . Could be bending rods as it will make lot of power in bottom .

Comment

Originally posted by vidar skotheim View Post
                        I have nowe some new style of the k24 7000 for sale .
                        new style 9 blade ex wheel and upgraded comp wheel .
                        teoretic 420 hp !!
                        very nice for road use . Could be bending rods as it will make lot of power in bottom .
                        Have you had this set up on your car making those power figures?
                        Is that 420hp at the wheels or at the crank?

Schrick 272 cam
                        C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                        ITG filter

Comment

Hi Dimitri,

Haven't been on here much in the last two years, but great to see you're still about and have lost none of your 'fun'.

Best wishes and respect.

Comment

Originally posted by MGaz View Post

Have you had this set up on your car making those power figures?
                            Is that 420hp at the wheels or at the crank?
                            Waiting for dyno results on these new ones , buth is the best way to go for 100 % bolt on and original look for fast turbo and ok power . Will later provide with proffesional made Bin`s for exactly this turbo

Comment

Originally posted by vidar skotheim View Post

Waiting for dyno results on these new ones , buth is the best way to go for 100 % bolt on and original look for fast turbo and ok power . Will later provide with proffesional made Bin`s for exactly this turbo
                              Hi, How much is this k24 turbo? And when do you expect to have some Dyno results?

Also, what setup might be recommended if I decided I wanted to aim for 500-550 bhp with retaining good street performance in mind?

Schrick 272 cam
                              C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                              ITG filter

Comment

Working...
                              X