No announcement yet.

Identify function/part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran with derlin solid gearbox and engine mounts, It lifted engine higher than normal so that the snub mount rubber would not fit in the the enclosed wagner cross brace housing.
    Never got round to adjusting it and with engine/gearbox completely solid it ran without rubber part on snub mount for a few years with no problems 340HP 430NM.
    Once I removed the mounts they were still good condition and sold to another forum member.
    If you wanted to retain a snub mount but allow for larger intercooler this mount as picture could be a solution?
    Far lower and tucked in but not sure what model it came from?

49942890946_c8d15eee97_c (1).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
      Don't snub the snub...

This is to echo all the sensible warnings above; and further, to detail some explanation of how it works:

Our two laterally spaced apart engine mounts quite properly largely support the motor from near its' center of mass (close to its' fore-aft C of G) and only really prevent it from tilting strictly left or right (whenever engine torque is applied to or released from the chassis, i.e.: throttle up, and throttle down), and are only able to do so; precisely because they are both some distance from the crank's center-line.

The motor / tranny assembly wants to twist around the crank-axis, only because about half of the engine torque is being resisted by the rear wheels.

However the motor / tranny assembly also wants to pitch, i.e.: nose-up and nose-down (again with any application or removal of torque to the chassis) with similar force. This pitching movement is best resisted by the similarly long distance that the snub is from the front-axles, which is the 2nd axis that the motor / tranny assembly wants to pivot around.

This is because the motor / tranny assembly (an otherwise writhing, flailing wild beast) also wants to react (or pitch) around the front-axles' center-lines, since the other half of the engine's torque is being resisted similarly; but here by the front wheels.

Our motor mounts (on which the motor is kind of balanced, front to rear as can almost be seen in the illustration below) cannot resist the fore-aft pitching motion at all well, precisely because they are necessarily too close to the fore-aft C of G of the motor / tranny assembly. In fact, the two motor mounts act as a kind of fulcrum across which the motor / tranny assembly rocks front to rear, only restrained by the two tranny mounts; and the snub. So hopefully one can visualize that (when viewed from above) the motor-mounts really work perpendicularly to the tranny and snub-mounts.

The two tranny mounts do help both the snub and the engine-mounts, but similarly they cannot replace either of those other three mounts. The five mounts together are just strong enough, less than five is not.

Many folks quite properly go to lengths to improve the effectiveness of the snub-mount (with more massive rubber ends, double-sided (top and bottom) receiver plates,) and not without first recognizing the critical need for this mount because each of the five mounts' individual effectiveness both allows the other four to best perform their specific tasks, and together they all last longer (there are other driving benefits you will also learn too). In fact the stock snub receiver bracket is made adjustable precisely so that it can be made to engage; just when and where the tranny mounts do, and for the discerning, a critical co-ordinated response deftly "mounted" to applied and removed engine power, that a worn snub rubber and tranny mounts then exposes as needing attention.

In order to best get all your torque (whether stock or extra-large inter-cooler enhanced) to all the tires' contact patches ASAP, one needs to correctly harness the entire power-train as Audi intended or you'll be waiting till the engine / tranny assembly stops moving before that happens (a very annoying phenomenon!). The snub is a small and different but necessary part of that; and has just a slightly different job description from what a motor mount (or a tranny mount!) must have. Its job is more fully realized dynamically than it is apparent statically.

Audi S1 flexible drivetrain connections.png
      I understand what you saying. Let me refrase it to all on the forum if somebody has a answer. Has somebody driven there car without it and got problems and had solid mounts ? I think that is the question to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
        I ran with derlin solid gearbox and engine mounts, It lifted engine higher than normal so that the snub mount rubber would not fit in the the enclosed wagner cross brace housing.
        Never got round to adjusting it and with engine/gearbox completely solid it ran without rubber part on snub mount for a few years with no problems 340HP 430NM.
        Once I removed the mounts they were still good condition and sold to another forum member.
        If you wanted to retain a snub mount but allow for larger intercooler this mount as picture could be a solution?
        Far lower and tucked in but not sure what model it came from?

49942890946_c8d15eee97_c (1).jpg
        I could build something totally from scratch so it could fit. Does the rubbber originally go in a hole ? I have not heard from people her in Sweden that had problems not using it. And they had strong engines.

Comment

Yea the Wagner crossmember has a cup the snub mount fits in. but I ran without it with solid mounts no problem.

Comment

Working...
          X