No announcement yet.

7A cars - how many miles or kms per tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always run my cars on Shell Optimax or whatever it's called now unless I have no other practical option, I've found it gives the best fuel economy as well as really healthy looking spark plugs and clean exhaust ports/turbines when swapping turbos over. I think they've gotten the additives just right and it's the highest octane available, I use to drive 18 miles to fill up and I'd always time it so I was practically empty before getting there. Was always a major outlay in one go but I figured I'd be saving the cost of driving there and back in improved economy over 20 quids worth of crappy 95 Ron fuel here and there.

Besides my S2 didn't like 95 Ron stuff very much at all, it was mapped very aggressively, though my RS2 seems to tolerate it better.

I recon 520 miles is doable in a FWD 7A, though it would have to be a nice constant 70mph and on the motorway or at least really straight A roads with very few junctions or roundabouts and off the throttle down hill etc.

I think the 20V motor if driven sensibly is going to be more economical than a 10V, it's not K-jet to start with!

I could just about get 400 miles out of tank with my S2 if it was just pottering around, though I could easily half that if giving it any serious stick.

I can't remember exactly now but a good mate of mine who also owns an RS2 wanted to see what it could achieve if driven super sensibly on the way back from Scotland after moaning about how much fuel we used on the M6/M74 on the way up with me leading at night in not sensible mode in my RS2. I think we got something like 420 miles on a tank before being practically empty, I know we went quite a long way with fuel lights on. I do recall us both getting 31.something MPG which I though was excellent for a car of that size and weight with four wheel drive. He was running a fairly aggressive map on the stock turbo and my car is probably around the same power all be it with a bigger turbo which I think pretty much evened things out.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I have an early 7A fwd. I make between 12 and 14 L/100km on the best situation, so I am lucky if I make 500km with a full tank

Comment

By my calculations, that is 20 - 23.5mpg. That's low fuel economy! Do you drive fast or do a lot of city driving?

Comment

My 2.0-20V drinks 10L/100km (28 U.K. mpg) pretty much always. Lowest i have gotten with granny driving was 9L/100km. These are with mixed driving conditions, some highway, some city and some short trips.
          I bet if I only drove highway at 80kmh/50mph and never WOT the car it would get 8L/100km. But you know... not going WOT is pretty hard with the amazing 5 pot sound and the fact that there is no torque under 4000 rpm.
          1989 90 quattro NM

Comment

Originally posted by Obli View Post
            By my calculations, that is 20 - 23.5mpg. That's low fuel economy! Do you drive fast or do a lot of city driving?
            My best was 10L/100km many years ago, only in highway.

I live in a region where we have lot of hills. We donĀ“t have flats to make economy driving...

And apart from that, I only use the car to have a ride and enjoy

Comment

My 90 NM 2.0 20v Q goes from 12L/100km on short runs around town with no traffic to 9L on long runs with normal driving.

Comment

I've just done 302.1 miles on 41.25L of premium E5 unleaded.

That's mixed driving. Town, traffic jams, A-roads and motorway. Not been driving slow. Occasional heavy foot and 6K+ rpm.

Works out at 33.25mpg or 8.46L/100km. Happy with that!

EDIT: another 190 miles and averaged 34.2mpg. Mix of town, 40-60mph A roads and motorway. Occasional heavy for again. Lots of driving in the rain, too. Very good I think.
                Last edited by Obli; 9 September 2022, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                X