Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed - rocker cover gasket change on Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - rocker cover gasket change on Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

It's not an S2 question, but it is an Audi . Hoping for any advice.

The car is a 2014 Audi A3 2.0 TDI, 3rd generation, type 8V. The engine code is CRBC.

I need to change the cam cover gasket, due to an oil leak. I was all set to do the job myself, when a mate suggested it can be a very dangerous job due to it being a high pressure diesel. The safety issue being undoing parts of the diesel lines can cause serious injury as the diesel will spray out at a huge pressure.

Could any advise if this is true or not?

i wouldnt have thought so when the ignition is off, maybe a small bit of pressure when you crack the pipe loose.

Comment

Thanks Tango - I would be looking to tackle the job with the ignition off.

Comment

He's talking tosh.. You will need new bolts and flame washers for the injectors. Do no over tighten the fuel lines either you can create leaks.

Comment

Thanks Monkeymagic. Having looked into the job further, I understand the bolts holding the injectors in place are stretch bolts, so need replacing as you mention. I will also look to obtain new washers, and be extra careful with tightening the fuel lines.

Comment

You'll probably spend the most time cleaning the injectors. The rest is plain sailing

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                He's talking tosh.. You will need new bolts and flame washers for the injectors. Do no over tighten the fuel lines either you can create leaks.
                With one thing and another I still haven't started this job yet - but I am getting closer.

I spoke with the Audi dealership todays and the two injector stretch bolts needed are less that £5 each.

However in relation to the injector seals they advised I need to change all three on each injector (a fuel return, one in the middle of the injector and a copper washer on the end that enters the engine) - they quoted over £50 for these seals!

I was therefore hoping for any advice as to if this is the case, or can you get away with not changing the seals (or perhaps using non-genuine parts). I haven't worked on a diesel engine before, so any advice is welcome.

Comment

Yes do them do not cut corners. The ones I've done most of the seals are screwed.
                  But I was doing them cos the retaining bolts snapped and the injectors were hopping about on the head..
                  You may need an injector puller too. With the correct attachment and a slide hammer they come out simply.
                  The rubber seals do nothing to separate the fuel supply and return, they are confusing the CR with the PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                    Yes do them do not cut corners. The ones I've done most of the seals are screwed.
                    But I was doing them cos the retaining bolts snapped and the injectors were hopping about on the head..
                    You may need an injector puller too. With the correct attachment and a slide hammer they come out simply.
                    The rubber seals do nothing to separate the fuel supply and return, they are confusing the CR with the PD.
                    Cheers Monkeymagic, so am I understanding you right that its the copper washer seal that is critical, and the other rubber seals are of less concern (given you mention of a confusion between CR and PD)?

The injectors I am taking out, then re-installing are in good shape and not leaking at all. I planned to leave as much of the plumbing attached to them as possible when I take them out to then change the rocker cover gasket.

I have attached a picture of the copper seal that I believe is correct. As I have now got the part number (059 130 519) I have found genuine Bosch ones can be sourced for a lot cheaper than what Audi are charging.
                    Also, are you able to confirm the torque settings for the stretch bolts? I'm struggling to locate this info on the tinternet.

injector seal.jpg
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'd source the rubber seals too and do it properly. They are likely to be hardened and put of shape. I'll look up torque settings.
                      You need to push the injectors home first too.

Comment

8nm and 270 degrees..
                        I would recommend vcds to purge the system before restarting too.

Comment

Thanks again - you are a star.

Sorry for all the questions - just not done this sort of job before. Can I just check, when you say push the injectors home, is pushing them in by hand sufficent, or is there more to the process?

Comment

There is a tool but it's nothing more than a shaped lump of metal with a round plastic handle. A suitable tap on the metal shoulder will suffice. You will likely spend more time cleaning the bore out than anything else. They carbon up at the end and it pays to clean them to ensure a proper seat with copper washer.
                            Try not to mix up. Injectors and I cleaned up the tip with scotch cloth and Carb cleaner.

Comment

Great advice - once again thank you. You wouldn't be able to advise on the torque setting for the cam cover bolts aswell by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                              X