Fuel pump testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump testing

Where to start! My 94 Avant has been layed up for around 8yrs after the head gasket blew so in my wisdom i've decided to take some interest back in the old girl and the Forum.
    I wanted to drain the old fuel out the tank and renew before i attempt to start it.
    on diconnecting the fuel line where the flexi hose is before the rail and putting a piece of hose on the end of line from the tank i turned on the ignition and nothing!!
    is there an easy way to test the fuel pump or pump relay and where is the pump located. I've searched for quite sometime on here but not drawn a conclusion on best way forward. Car turns over fine and all seems well apart from no fuel which is a fundamental issue.
    Any help or advice is greatly recieved.

Oh and a mouse had taken up residence in the fan blower housing using the pollen filter as bedding. My first thoughts were the wiring would be well fekked but again everything seems to work fine but the stench of rotten mouse piss is a problem.
    Maybe a new fan housing but the work involved in changing that looks hideous.
    Getting her up and running again is priority atm!
    sigpic

Welcome back.
    In your case, the best way to drain the tank will be to remove the lid over the pump in the boot (three screws). Disconnect the wires and feed + return pipes, unscrew the cap and pull off. You can now see your fuel pump. It's held in the basket by two plastic clips either side. When removed you can place a hose in the bottom of the basket and drain the old fuel using an external pump. Take care of the wires running to the level sender and pump which you can easily pull off the bottom of the cap. When you have your pump out, you can bench test it with a battery to see if it's running.
    While there, best change the fuel filter. It's under the tank on the drivers side and easier to change if the tank is empty as you need to drop the tank slightly to get access.

With the fan, drop the glove box and you can remove the fan (three screws). Clean everything using something like detol on a sponge and should be good.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I had to change my pump recently and drained my tank using a cheap pump bought from TKmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Top man Dave, I'm on a misson with it today and thank you for the wecome back.
        Very exited to get behind the wheel again once head gasket issue is sorted.
        I've already stripped out the fan and cleared the rancid mess just hoping the stench hasn't impregnated the plastic.
        Will update on my findings later
        sigpic

Comment

Stripped out the fuel pump and gess what!?...siezed solid!!
          was pretty cruddy in there too, corroded terminals and rusty banjo union, it's obviously been getting condensation in there.
          I think i saw someone selling an 034 pump in the sale adds.... off to check it out and place a wanted add.
          sigpic

Comment

I got hold of a good used RS2 pump and basket when I changed mine recently but was going to fit the Walbro 450. There is a thread on fitting that here and it looks pretty good. I don't think the 034 stuff has such a good reputation these days. The Walbro fits in the standard basket with a small mod.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-pump-you-need
            Last edited by Tractor Dave; 23 September 2020, 17:10.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

So would the RS2 pump be a direct replacement for the ABY or do i need the basket too Dave?
              The 450 seems a bit overkill for my needs, running stock atm but may consider homefry or RS2 later.
              sigpic

Comment

You can fit the RS2 pump in the standard basket as the pump is the same diameter but it's taller and you will need to find a way to secure it. Newsh did this and used a ring on the pump body.
                If you are getting an oe pump make sure you buy from an authorised Bosch dealer. My Bosch pump from KMS lasted 1400 miles and as it's over a year old, they don't want to know
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

RS2 pump on the way will uodate once it arrives and shes fired up
                  it really hacks me off when part suppliers do that.
                  Nice John Deer there Dave, I'd love a JD but my little old Case does what i need
                  Can we have an agricultural section on here
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't think it would go down too well. My 2850 is a gem. I also have an International 484.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                    X