Intermittent slow or non start on 7A 20v SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent slow or non start on 7A 20v SOLVED

I thought I'd share this here as it may help someone else who has been scratching their head like I have with my cq20v.

Most of the year it would start and run perfectly and reliably. However, the last two or three winters would bring intermittent starting problems that only seemed to come on when the temperature was around or below freezing and, only the first start of the day.

Symptoms would be a long crank then start or several long cranks and start eventually and then run well. Yesterday on a frosty day (mot day as it happens) the car failed to start full stop.

Took spark plugs out, no fuel. Cranked over with plug earthed and no spark...

Read fault codes and it gave me 2111 engine speed sensor and 2114 hall sensor reference point.

​​​​​​I had spare g28 engine speed sensors so swapped them both and the engine started.

I'm guessing the 2114 code is linked because the speed sensor wasn't seeing the firing pin but will recheck later once cleared stored codes.

I have since tested the g28 sensors that I took off and found no fault but, as the problem only ever seemed to be related to cold and the sensors were stored inside, I can only assume they would work at room temperature.

This mornings frosty start was the big test and low and behold... perfect

Started after 2 turns and Idled at a rock steady at 900rpm and for a 7A that is an achievement to celebrate!

I'm calling that a fix and it passed its MOT.

Last edited by steve briance; 23 January 2021, 07:24.

Nice one.

Did you still make it for the MOT ?!

Comment

Yes, it's a place where you turn up and queue. Usually there is a line of hopefuls waiting and I was an hour late but, no queue so went straight in after all that!

A great day out

Comment

Working...
      X