Avgas is it safe to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish,

Your not far wrong with your questions sir, about the injectors I just don't know, but yes, older cars than ours didn't have the same kind of valve seat material which in our case can do without what lead offered those older engines. However, similar to what I posted earlier, here's a link to folks who'd love to sell you leaded race gas but also warn about certain O2 sensor damage.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech...d-racing-fuels

That Steve has already seen symptom amelioration with booster and/or cooler temperatures, does point towards fuel quality, so perhaps a blend of auto race gas and 95 street gas might work out least expensively. Or build a still and make some moonshine Steve!

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech...hol-and-octane
    Last edited by Lago Blue; 21 March 2021, 23:58.

Comment

Get a wideband O2 controller on it and make sure it’s not leaning out at high revs. That would be my first move.
      This is in the planning stages wait for approval from the boss
      If you hook up Vagcom you can watch the temperature sender in the back of the head to see what the ECU sees.
      Also part of the plan.

Or build a still and make some moonshine Steve!
      Got plenty behind the bar one step ahead of you Was thinking of putting some in the car

We are going to the Kruger Park (about the size of Wales) in two week so when we get back it will be WB O2 sensor with DP temperature sensor fitted. As my first step. After that I will try an additive and then the Avgas test if I feel it to be safe to try. And then if the boss gives me some more money I will try a race fuel

Must say I am not that concerned that Avgas will damage the car for a test. I dont have a cat fitted and I have a spare O2 sensor.

Kruger National Park - South African Safari and Lodging Guide (krugerpark.co.za)
      Last edited by orsum; 22 March 2021, 06:04. Reason: Added info if you fancy a holiday

Comment

So I decided not to use Avgas due to possible damage to the O2 sensor.

I used an additive.

The car is running better than ever. No more pulling back or surging whatever its called.

It is now the car I always thought it could be. The performance is epic.

I am convinced its the rubbish petrol we have in South Africa that has been causing my issue.

The question is what do I do now.

Try getting the map sorted in SA which I am not sure there is anybody I feel confident that can help me.

Fly Prj to South Africa to tune the car. Covid issues and it will cost quite a bit to do and will he be available.

Change to an after market ECU. Which ECU and who in SA can I trust to do the tune?

Use the 95 octane we have in SA and just put some octane booster in when in the mood.

Water/Methanol injection.

Attached Files
        Last edited by orsum; 4 May 2021, 15:10.

Comment

What is the difference between SA 95 octane and Euro 95 octane? I have ran all my S2,s on 95 here in Sweden with no issues. Two of them had MTM 370hp kits. That is K26/27 turbo...
          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

You most probably wont be getting prj down to South Africa to remap your car as he has not done these type of jobs since 2014 or 2015. Now a days he just recommend using a ECU Master after market ECU that a lot more tuners can handle as the old Motronic M2.3.2 is just a pain to tune in comparison.
            But he still does tuning, I went to Tallinn in july 2020 to have my A4 3.0 TDI tuned by him and I'm pleased with his work as always.

Comment

It definitely looks like I may have to go for a new ECU.

As for the difference in SA and Euro petrol I would think they should be the same. If that statement is true then the only difference can be the ECU tuning and I have an RS2 turbo fitted K24 7200 with 440cc injectors. Hence my need for a higher octane petrol to match what the ECU was tuned for.

Always possible they say we supply 95 but give you 93 octane.

Clearly there is a difference between the modifications we have so its hard to form and opinion on the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
                It definitely looks like I may have to go for a new ECU.

As for the difference in SA and Euro petrol I would think they should be the same. If that statement is true then the only difference can be the ECU tuning and I have an RS2 turbo fitted K24 7200 with 440cc injectors. Hence my need for a higher octane petrol to match what the ECU was tuned for.

Always possible they say we supply 95 but give you 93 octane.

Clearly there is a difference between the modifications we have so its hard to form and opinion on the differences.
                Dont get me wrong here. The two MTM cars i had were both mapped to run on 98. But over here at least not that many people fill up with 98, so it stays in the fuelpumps alot longer than the 95 that gets filled up alot more often. Therefore i used to go with 95 so i got "fresh" fuel, as i would think "new" 95 would still have a higher octane than old/stale 98.The cars both ran great on 95 anyway. Oh, the 26/27 is a bigger turbo than the RS2 k24 7200 unit. Good luck what ever you choose to do

Comment

Did air temperature have an effect on your cars performance?

I have the RS2 intercooler fitted but I have not checked the air intake temperatures.

The air temperatures the car operates between is 22 to 40 deg cel winter to summer. When we do have cooler days in our winters the car starts to run better at about 18 deg cel or less. The cooler the better

Comment

I had RS2 IC on both too Yes, cool humid evenings it ran best. But i live in Sweden, so it wont get that hot over here. The cars had 26/27 turbos, RS2 IC and exhaust manifolds, one had RS2 airbox and the other had a K&N cone filter, 3 inch turbo back, no cats MTM software, dont know what injectors but they were not green anyway. The Inka gelb one ran at 1,9bar of boost, the black one i never mounted a gauge in. Oh, how i miss those cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X