Best way to clean a block and head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean a block and head

Any thoughts? I was thinking vapour blasting but would soda be better/safer?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Take them to a machine shop and have them hot tanked?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, as above.

Comment

Again, as above and ask them blow out all the oil ways with an air-line once it's been done if you don't have a compressor at home, most machine shops will do this anyway a matter of course.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thanks guys…so would you advise against a vapour or soda blast then? My understanding was soda was the way forward as no media left behind. Just about to order a compressor and a small blast cabinet for cleaning some bits and pieces or just prep for paint/powder coating
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Having compressed air is so useful, once you get your compressor you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. I can't really advise on blasting techniques as I don't know a great deal about it, I take you want to prep the block for paint?

I have a basic sandblasting cabinet I got for cleaning up small items, that's currently got very fine blasting sand in it which cleans up stuff like turbine housings/manifolds, thermostat housings and brackets etc really very nicely. My only criticism of it is even though it's got pretty decent seals it still makes my workshop dusty, so I've taken to only ever using it outside.

Comment

Thanks Kit yep that was the plan but i figured it wouldn't leak too much dust. Maybe its an outside job for me too then
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you getting a blasting cabinet make sure you buy a compressor that has the required cfm and a good size tank of at least 100litres. My compressor is 15cfm and that hammers away when blasting.

Comment

If you are not happy with the result of a hot tank dip and have facility to - soda is the way forward as once you blow the oil and waters ways, it can go in the bath to remove the residual soda being as its water soluable.

Vapour blasting makes things look lovely but could you live with the uncertainty of there being bits of glass/bead left in there stuck to some old oil?....
                  ​​​​​
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I would second what B5NUT says. I have a 50L compressor and small blast cabinet. I have added two big gas cylinders as receivers which help but need to stop every now and again to let the compressor catch it's breath. I also found I needed an extractor and more light in the cabinet. Oh and after that you will need a powder coating kit and an oven, the list goes on.

Comment

Yeah, I have a 100L compressor the pump of which is designed to be able to run flat out for prolonged periods, even with that I can only do ten minutes of sand blasting at a time before I have to let the compressor cool down and catch up. And the dust is a PITA, I've tried hooking a high power vacuum cleaner up to the filtered vent but it still seems to make a bloody mess, so as I said I take it outside to use now.

Comment

As for soda: I think the main advantage is you don't need to take the parts to a shop, you can just do it yourself. Soda is safe to use, hardly abrasive, dissolves in water. On the other hand I found it hard to set up my blaster properly. As for the aluminium parts, they will still stain afterwards if not coated or painted.

Comment

The wife loved it when I put engine parts in the dishwasher!

Comment

Yes, mine remembers me doing that still too!
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Jaswan .. at least wait 'till she's out of the house :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X