Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wave marks on camshaft

Hello,

I need your opinion on one (several) problems that I am having on my brand new engine. the engine has just been rebuilt but when putting on my new CatCams 1002305 camshafts, I noticed traces on the OEMs. I have supertech valves as well as the supertech spring and retainer kit.
    I still mounted the CatCams and ran for 10 seconds at engine idle and the traces also appeared... the hydraulic tappets have nothing and I tested with other. do you have an idea ?

Thanks !
    Attached Files

I don't think that looks too abnormal. I have some cams in a head I can take a look at to see whether they have anything similar on them. The new cams look to have a coating which will wear through.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
      I don't think that looks too abnormal. I have some cams in a head I can take a look at to see whether they have anything similar on them. The new cams look to have a coating which will wear through.
      Great, thank you ! I don't want to damage my brand new CatCams

Comment

The top picture (standard cams) below the lobe you can clearly se the wavepattern. Can you feel them with your finger nail? Does not look normal to me?
        Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

yes, that doesn't seem normal to me. I have the supertech spring kit but it's not supposed to cause this kind of trace. I don't feel anything on my finger or nail but I don't want it to get worse.

Comment

Are all the lobes like that? Both cams?
            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Yes, all cams, all lobes

Comment

Do the tappets have a texture to them, spiral-like in form?

Often they do, ot is to ensure they rotate and not unevenly wear things.

The waves could be an artefact of this.

Worth a call to Cat/super tech.

Comment

Working...
                X