1.8t aeb oil warning light / engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8t aeb oil warning light / engine noise

Hi all, looking for some general advice. I have a 1.8t AEB converted 97 Audi Cab. Fresh conversion so trying to iron out a few issues and get car to a stage where it's free of issues.

I have a couple of small issues I am hoping somebody can help with.

Firstly, on first proper drive of car and engine seems to be running smooth and pulling well, I did however have an intermittent oil warning light and sound which I think appears above around 2k but comes and goes. Oil pressure reads around normal on the gauge and engine has fresh oil which is correct level. I'm told prev owner cleaned the pickup on the engine but can't be sure. Other than this is seems to run and pull nicely. First thing I am looking to do is change oil switches, if anyone has advice on doing this on AEB code would be much appreciated.

Secondly, I've noticed a metallic rattling sound whilst revving the engine. Seems to be coming from around top of engine block but not sure where. I have attached video of this. I'm quite new to this game but hoping to learn and try do as much work on the car as possible myself so please forgive my ignorance. Can anyone tell me what they think this is and if it's a major concern?

Thanks

Edit: sorry first post, not sure why i've created an event and dunno how to get rid lol
    Starts
    18 October 2022
    Ends
    18 October 2022
    Last edited by Greg_S; 19 October 2022, 13:18.

Not sure on the rattle, it sounds like something outside of the engine to me, potentially on the belts
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Has this engine got a little internal chain to time the camshafts and has it got a tensioner?
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

to me sounds like one of your bolts is loose and the washer ratles in some rpm/vibration frequency. Had this when one of the bolts that secures the AC compressor broke and the washer made that sound on some rpms.

Comment

Cut about a meter of hosepipe, put one end to your ear and move the other end all over the engine until the noise is loudest, that's where the problem is.
          1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Oil pressure light acts like that when one of the pressure switches is not connected/installed which in this case is very likely because 1.8t has only 2 threads for oil sensors but there's 3 sensors if you have aux gauges.
            Does the engine makes a rattling noise on cold start and then goes quiet? If yes then cam chain tensioner is out, if no then there might be something loose around the engine.
            I made a stainless steel heatshield for exhaust manifold and it makes ringing/grinding noise at certain rpm what can be heard inside cabin

Comment

Get an oil pressure tester on it and get some accurate readings, oil pick up is my suggestion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, some really helpful tips. Will do some more digging

Comment

I would put money on the oil pick up being partially blocked, that would explain the oil light coming on intermittently, the main noise is very hard to place but as Greg says it actually sounds external.... However, your engine does sound like it's down on oil pressure, though again it's hard to say from a video clip, I'd get a decent test gauge rigged up ASAP.

I've now listen to the clip a few times, it is very hard to say what's making the rattling noise, it does kind of sound like something belt related ie the cambelt tensioner pulley.

Edit... If the previous owner cleaned the pick up out he probably did it for a reason, when the pick up gets blocked which is very common on these engines the first thing that starts to make a noise is the top end, the lifters may start to rattle as they're starved of oil. The other thing that cops it first is the the camshaft journals and if it's really bad the main bearings, however by that stage your engine will be totaled and though I said your engine sounds a little unhappy I don't think any serious damage has happened. I've heard worst sounding 1.8T's that have gone on to do many miles quite happily.

As I said get the the oil pressure checked properly (both hot and cold) to confirm the gauge readings and the pressure switches are working properly.

My other thought is if the previous owner pulled the sump off to clean the pick up out he could have use an excessive amount of sealant which is has now found it's way into the pick up, I've seen this before a couple of times, not just on 1.8T's. I rescued a G60 that was down on oil pressure and found the oil pick up full of bit's gasket compound.

The other thing to check is the dip stick tube, has it been replaced recently? if it has then is quite likely bit's of plastic have found their way into the pick up as it's very hard to install a new one without bits of the old one falling into the sump.

Oh yeah...
                  Last edited by K Simmonds; 21 October 2022, 14:03.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X