AAN Oil cooler - blanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN Oil cooler - blanking

Hi chaps, am I ok to temporarily blank off oil cooler on AAN? We are moving home soon and would like to get the car running so can be driven on/off tow truck & into new garage. I'm assuming the thermostat won't open at idle effectively anyways so shouldn't be an issue?

TIA
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

I "looped" it on my ABY last year.

Comment

I would loop it as mentioned above as the oil gets hotter much quicker than the coolant, not much more work and a better job in case the oil thermostat opens. I'd also advise you run the engine up to normal operational temperature if it's not been started for a while and isn't likely to be run again soon.

I have a general rule of either not starting engines that are stood or starting and leaving them run until at least close to full temperature once a year. This helps avoid condescension issues and is kinder to catalytic converters if fitted.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
        I would loop it as mentioned above as the oil gets hotter much quicker than the coolant, not much more work and a better job in case the oil thermostat opens. I'd also advise you run the engine up to normal operational temperature if it's not been started for a while and isn't likely to be run again soon.

I have a general rule of either not starting engines that are stood or starting and leaving them run until at least close to full temperature once a year. This helps avoid condescension issues and is kinder to catalytic converters if fitted.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
        I might possibly then just winch it on the tow truck and roll into the garage on the other end. All coolant & oil has been drained so I guess it's best avoiding running for short periods of time. Converting to vacuum brake servo as well so that all needs plumbing in.
        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

If it's got no oil in it do not start the engine under any circumstances! You could pull the the fuel pump relay out, disconect all the injectors or unplug the ECU and move it in first gear with short bursts on the starter motor.

Don't wind it for any longer than five seconds at a time and give the starter motor time to cool down inbetween bursts.

I drained all the fuel out of my Corrrado recently and had to move it 20 meters or so, did it in about half a dozen blasts on the starter with both back brakes seized solid.

Comment

Of course I wouldn't start with no oil.

I mean the car rolls and steers so getting it on/off trailer shouldn't be an issue really and access is pretty good at both properties. Better safe than sorry as they say.
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Cool, in that case I'd stick with rolling the car about... Be carful unloading it as without the engine running the brakes need a fair bit more effort, give the pedal a couple of pumps to ensure they're working... I've had a couple of nasty surprises being the poor sod in the car trying to slow it down, in one case a brake hose expoloded as soon as I hit the brakes and I had to shove it in gear to avert an accident.

Comment

Well, I'm in process of converting to vacuum and assume it requires vacuum from engine to work so no brakes lol
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

As long as there's fluid in the system and no leaks you will have brakes as long as you pump the pedal a couple of times and they'll be be a bit crap but enough to stop it rolling off the trailer.

Comment

That's good to know, awesome. Need master cylinder fitted first.
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                    X