double turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double turbo?

Is it possible to fit 2 turbos on the I5? i mean fit a big one like GT30R for high rev and a smaller one to engage in the 2000-4000rev area to reduce lag???

can it be done?Is it worth it?

Anything is possible, but it would be a plumbing nightmare!

Comment

Has been done hasn't it, correct me if I am wrong guys, I looked at this before myself and then felt the migrane on the way!!!!!!!!1
      Dark Grey Avant
      RS2 FARB
      Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
      Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

it has been done before i think ive seen it some where on here
        94 s2 avant
        aoc member 1116

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ght=twin+turbo

there's the linky to my thread on it
          Dark Grey Avant
          RS2 FARB
          Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Why

Why do it? its just such a night mare and only works on V6 or 8's... one big turbo is massively more efficent than 2 or one small one thats why when you tune our S2 to over 300bhp (e.g. bigger turbo) your MPG goes up, on mine it went from 21 MPG to 26 MPG when I used a KKK26/27 over the standard kkk24.

Jay

Comment

i was thinking of the BMW 330i that has been released and i was thinking that it would be nice to have a drivable car,everyday car producing 450hp around 300hp at the wheels and have it get into boost earlier than the 4000rpm mark.Even if you get larger pistons and make the engine 2400cc it still doesnt get better with the lag

Comment

?

The new ball bearing turbos (GT30R or GT3071) start boosting very early, the 4000rpm you are on about is when max torque is produced and its massive but the car would have been going like a scolded cat before this but the big lump of torque just masks this, talk to the big turbo boys like doug or Tom and see what they say!

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                  Why do it? its just such a night mare and only works on V6 or 8's... one big turbo is massively more efficent than 2 or one small one thats why when you tune our S2 to over 300bhp (e.g. bigger turbo) your MPG goes up, on mine it went from 21 MPG to 26 MPG when I used a KKK26/27 over the standard kkk24.

Jay
                  If you had a V6 or V8, twin turbo's are not too difficult to install. Also you would not need large turbo's so they would spool up fairly quickly and give lots of power. Smaller turbo's would still inevitably not be able to produce the top end power.
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
                    Also you would not need large turbo's so they would spool up fairly quickly and give lots of power.
                    Uhm if you have 1 turbo per bank, there are only 3 cilinders feeding them... Otherwise feeding 2 small turbo's will also increase lag (over 1 small turbo) I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by 1975DCS View Post
                      Uhm if you have 1 turbo per bank, there are only 3 cilinders feeding them... Otherwise feeding 2 small turbo's will also increase lag (over 1 small turbo) I guess...

By small turbo's, I am meaning relatively. I was taken out in a twin turbo V6 Cavalier. This is what got me on the turbo modding trail.... wow. 2 x Garrett T3/4
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Here's another way of doing it

sigpic

Comment

Okay then someone try to explain the way that works!!!!! Taking a guess, exhaust gasses to turboo one then onto turbo two, don't get the reason that the little turbo is blowing back into the air inlet pipe, surely that would be counter productive and blow the air back out of the filter????
                          Dark Grey Avant
                          RS2 FARB
                          Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

the twin turbo setup on my rx-7 is nice, throws you back when you first punch it, then glues your head to the back window when the 2nd one comes in

Comment

the problem is not only the plumming but also the ecu progam to gain all aspects of the setup i suppose!

Comment

Working...
                              X