Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Intercooler

Holy Sh*t!

Got the RS2 intercooler on yesterday, but couldn't really give the car a good tryout till commuting work this morning (at 1am).

I think there must have been a problem with my old intercooler - the O ring was twice the size it should be when removed and there is what looks like oil in the bottom (does this mean my turbo has knackered oil seals?) - presumably when that gets warm, it's gonna have a detrimental effect on air cooling.

Previously, the car would 'spike' at 1.4 bar at 3krpm, then drop to 1 bar or slightly less before building up slowly again, but not really holding full boost for any length of time, and max boost only showed briefly in 4th, 5th, 6th, and then not for long.

Now, with the new intercooler? Well the car is smoother for a start - throttle response is instant, and boost? Builds up much faster and when it gets to 1.4/1.5 bar it stays there till after 6k rpm. At 6300rpm in 6th there was very little sign of the car slowing down (boost dropping steadily) and it accelerated much harder than it's ever done, with loads in reserve! I would have Vmaxed it in 6th except for a 50mph Gatso to slow down for. (Lee, we REALLY need to talk about brakes after Siena's put my other bits on next week, all being well).

Loads of urge/pickup from 2k rpm up, and am going to see if Well Lane can fit me in for a power run before the weekend (as a 'before' to all the other bits going on).

Ok, the RS2 intercooler ain't cheap, and it'll take about an hour ish to take everything off, cut, weld, and put everything back on, but it's worth considering putting on if my experience is anything to go by! Also, the avg fuel consumption has been stuck on 21.2 for over a month (has been dropping steadily, and I've been driving like a granny to halt the slide). Even with hammering the car it's increased to the heady heights of 21.4! WOOHOO!

(Thanks for the 'heads up' on I/Cooler clearance by the way, Martyn - there is about 10mm clearance to the pulleys. The welds and steel straps on the crossmember/bracket are pretty strong - if you swing off em the car shakes, rather than the i/cooler moving, so I think it'll be ok as far as not getting gouged up goes. Bumper bit of a swine to put back on like you said!)

I'm in love with the car again *swoon* aside from a small point - the K26/27 and other bits go on next week hopefully, then I'll have to wait for Mihnea to wave his wand on the car and make it REALLY scarey with my crappy brakes (Lee, We REALLY... oh, I already said that ... .

If anyone wants a 'dummies guide' to putting the RS2 i/cooler on, I can post something up, with photos when the SFS 'MarkH' mod pipe comes and I take the i/cooler off again.

The other problem - I need to save up enough cash for a decent radar detector too...

PJ
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Sounds good to me mate! All I need to do is find my leak now - I've already done the IC oring mod.

We'll have to have a chat about the meet and going across in convoy!
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

What day/date are you thinking of going to Well lane? Its only about 15mins away from mine. Could meet you up there and see what yours rips up on the rollers .

Chris
      Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Well I was gonna try and get it in today (Thursday) or tommorrow (Friday) but I rung em only to find no one works on a Thursday??? I'll try tommorrow as a last gasp chance, or maybe Saturday, but i've left it a bit late, as usual.

Do we know of any other Rolling Roads around the Leeds area?

If I get something sorted with Well Lane I'll post in this thread, and maybe we can meet up? Been a few years since I was in Batley. Last time I was there was when I was seeing a girl who lived there. I got rid after 5 weeks (I was drunk when I met her, the first date was like a 'blind date' and I'd been trying to dump after the 3rd date, but didn't have the heart to tell her) and she stalked me for 6 months!!! Needless to say I've kept away from Bramley since then!

PJ

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Well I was gonna try and get it in today (Thursday) or tommorrow (Friday)

Errmmm - This is Wednesday (last time I looked)
          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Oh. So it is! The perils of working night shifts. It screws with your mind. (Yeah yeah, 'what mind'?) hehehe fook! I have an extra day then!

*wanders around dazed*

Thanks for the heads up Spud!

PJ

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Working...
            X