Need Help with oil system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with oil system

No S2's here to look at so I need to know what my oil cooling filtering system is supposed look like!

Isn't the oil filter mounted remotely (off the engine)?
    Is it in line with the oil cooler?
    If the filter is remote, what bolts on to the engine where the filter mount normally is?

I have the oil cooler lines but need a cooler and what else?

I have a 3B pulled from a 200 so the filter was on the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dave K.
    USA
    1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
    2001 S4

on mine there is a plate on the block which has the pipes come out of it which goto the oil cooler. The oil filter screws onto that plate which is on the block
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Here is a picture from Ben's engine rebuild. You can see the the oil filter bracket has the fittings for the lines to the oil cooler at the themostat housing (left side of bracket), filter mounts on bottom, and line to turbo on top-right.
      Attached Files
      Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ 20vT - NASA GTS-5 (R.I.P.)
      '90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
      '00 A4 1.8TQMS (Wife's Daily Driver)
      '12 TT-RS (Wife's new DD, on order for May European delivery)
      '62 Porsche 356B (another race car)
      '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

Originally posted by RSCoupe
        Here is a picture from Ben's engine rebuild. You can see the the oil filter bracket has the fittings for the lines to the oil cooler at the themostat housing (left side of bracket), filter mounts on bottom, and line to turbo on top-right.
        Does Ben's engine have the 200 oil filter housing or an S2 housing. I reread Brandon's description at http://20v.org/s2/home.html and it seems like the oil filter housing should put the filter horizontally.

Dave K.
        USA
        2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
          on mine there is a plate on the block which has the pipes come out of it which goto the oil cooler. The oil filter screws onto that plate which is on the block
          What is the connection on the oil pan extension for? I thought the cooler rurn might go there...
          Dave K.
          USA
          2001 S4

Comment

I'm not sure. It's either an S2 or urS4-6 housing. The connection on the oil pan extension is for the oil return from the turbo.
            Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
            '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

Originally posted by RSCoupe
              I'm not sure. It's either an S2 or urS4-6 housing. The connection on the oil pan extension is for the oil return from the turbo.
              Ah hah. Thanks Mark.
              Where does the 200 3B have it's turbo oil return? (It's been a while since I otre my car apart). I guess into the block? Probably have to plug a hole in the block...
              Dave K.
              USA
              2001 S4

Comment

I don't know where the oil return goes on the 3B. I assumed it was on the oil pan somewhere.
                Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
                '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

the connection on the oil pan extension is the oil return on a/c equipped cars, on non a/c cars the oil return is on side of block, as far as i know anyway:wacked:

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                    the connection on the oil pan extension is the oil return on a/c equipped cars, on non a/c cars the oil return is on side of block, as far as i know anyway:wacked:
                    This makes sense as the S2 pan extension is needed only if the car will have A/C.
                    Damn I'm glad someone else (Brandon) sorted all this out a few years ago!
                    Dave K.
                    USA
                    2001 S4

Comment

Does Ben's engine have the 200 oil filter housing or an S2 housing. I reread Brandon's description at http://20v.org/s2/home.html and it seems like the oil filter housing should put the filter horizontally
                      Dave,

I have the S2 housing, which points the filter down (not horizontal - error on Brandon's page) I also purchased the S2 oil pan extension which you can see in the picture. As mentioned above, the turbo return line bolts to this. On the right hand side of the block in the pic, you can see the port where the return line attaches on the 200. However, this location interferes with the A/C compressor, as Brandon mentions. This hole gets blocked off when you mount the A/C compressor bracket. Just be sure to use a gasket there. In fact, the 7A engine block has the same casting, only the hole hasn't been drilled.

By the way, I have an S2 oil cooler that I could sell if you're interested. No lines, ducting or mounting hardware. Just the core. But it seems you have the lines already?
                      Ben
                      Calgary, Alberta
                      Canada
                      1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
                      Panther Black Metallic
                      www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X