This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Override Switch - How to

Following some high temperatures on the ring, I decided that it woul be a good idea to hard wire the fan to a bypass switch in the cabin. Until now I have always used the AC switch (the fan is the only thing that works so might as well!). owever, I discovered the ultra hyper warp speed fan setting over the weekend and decided that it was a great idea to enable full fan control, including the hyper mental take-off speed, as I have removed the aux rad and do see some higher temps as a result.

This is all for a 1994 RHD ABY coupe with AC and no airbags. Just to cover and differences between models in case you break your ECU or something in the process!

So, I followed the wire colours from the fan switch which consists of a live with two wires which are switched according to coolant temp in the rad. The wires were a green with black stripe (stage 1) and a red with green(?) stripe (stage 2).

Stage 1 - a warning for cars with AC. I found two green wires with black stripes, one goes to a plug in the mess of wires under the steering wheel and the other to the fuse box into a large grey plug at the end furthest away from the wing. The first wire puts the fan onto the AC slow setting and the second puts the fan onto stage 1, both could be useful if your car has AC and you don't want it on when minor cooling is required.

The red wire with green? stripe goes to a relay under the steering wheel, right at the top nearest the door. I've never had the fan go onto this setting (which is good!) but it was a godsend on the ring in 30deg temperatures.

I tested the wires with a live feed first to check that the fan span at the speed I wanted (that's how I found that one of the green/black wires made it spin at AC speed, not stage 1!) and then cut the wire and used spade connectors to splice in a wire that I then connected to a toggle switch on the dash.

It's all experimental at the moment but with the cooling problems I've convinced myself I have it should provide some peace of mind over the summer and for any track days that I attempt this year. Only thing to do now is to get a slightly more galmourous switch than the 3 position toggle switch that's on loan from work!

It took about 2 hours to trace the wires, find the best place to cut them, fit the switch in one of the dash blanks and test it all. Pleased that it's all sorted, just got the switch to sort now so it looks a little less Maplins and a bit more proper like.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Andy mate you should have taken pics!

Having seen this 1st hand it's a very good mod

Comment

The car should cool itself at speed with the ram air effect of just driving. Are you sure your rad is in tip top condition? As the older cars are now starting to suffer with main rads being coked with "rock" not allowing them to cool enough, in severe cases causing h/gasket failures.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Andy was using a 2nd hand rad, but I think he's got a new Behr one on the way.
        SS

Comment

could be the cause of the problem, have seen it time and time again
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

The car runs fine under normal conditions but 30deg heat round the Nurburgring isn't exactly normal. The mod just allows a bit more control of air flow through the rad for when in traffic during hot weather or if I'm doing a particularly hot track day.

If the car had an overheating problem then I would sort it but it doesn't, it's just a backup and that extra high speed fan would cool the sun down!

Got a new rad to fit when I can be bothered, the 2nd had one is just fine at the moment. I might fit it when I've got a few other toys to bolt on too!
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Fair comment Andy, 30degs and the ring LOL, yeah, may just want that little bit of help.

Great write up tho, i have used my AC switch before in the past to keep things cool, but your mod would work a lot better.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman View Post
                Great write up tho, i have used my AC switch before in the past to keep things cool, but your mod would work a lot better.
                It does
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

what the hell? i tried to feed this wire (red with green stripe) today with 12V+ and nothing, just a relay clicking, but no fan action whats wrong ?
                  Last edited by BLAMM0; 23 October 2011, 11:12.

Comment

Anybody done this on a 3B?
                    sigpic
                    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMM0 View Post
                      what the hell? i tried to feed this wire (red with green stripe) today with 12V+ and nothing, just a relay clicking, but no fan action whats wrong ?
                      it must work, not?
                      Andy?

photobucket SUCKS
                      sigpic

Comment

No it didn't if I remember correctly. Did it a little bit differently

Comment

Working...
                        X