Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Turbo - the verdict

Got the verdict from AET today.

There is a small (only just visible) ammount of wear and scoring on the bearing housing (near the seal) on the turbine side. They reckon there was probably not enough to cause leakage until the CATs were removed and the back pressure reduced :wacked: So my investigation of the wierd smoke by removing the CATs fooked the turbo :mad: just my luck!

Seems like some form of contamination caused it but they don't know what. As they said it could just be one of those unlucky things.... sounds about right for me.

So it needs a new bearing hosuing, bearings and seals with means a complete stip down, rebuild and rebalance. £260 +VAT but I guess its a lot cheaper than a new one (Especially at £2000 from a dealer )

He also suggested to check the breathers etc. Anyone know how to check the PCV Valve. Is it a simple one-way affair that should only allow air to flow in one direction.

Suggestion for the test appreciated.

Cheers

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Leigh,

Take a look at Scott's site - http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/20vboost.html#hose

I'm not sure if you can easily test the valve? I just bought a new one to be sure. You're looking at £20 from VagParts

HTH
    Steve.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Cheers Steve, maybe buying a new is is the best bet just to be safe.

Leigh
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Thats well useful Steve,glad you got yours running better buddy
        Rob W
        04 Audi S4 Avant
        55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
        92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
        1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Working...
        X