X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic boost controller

Hi!

I am new here and look for some info.
    Has anyone fitted a BC to S2/RS2? I have an S2 with ABY and plan to fit an Apexi AVC-R BC in a couple of days. It is the most powerful BC with lots of adjustments. What can you say - any experience here?

Thanks,

Ivan

Hi.
    I`m sure that you know answer on your question. VladRS only.
    2.2 turbo RULEZZZ!

Comment

not sure its worth fitting, a proper re map would be a better choice i think.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

AFAIK the Apexi is a good product. Easy to tune and very effective on controlling boost. It also has a great and aggressive look (Greddy's one is nice as well, and there are many others around).

I'm actually not against boost controllers but it's very important you know how you're going to change engine management:

The "stand alone BC" will actually bypass OEM unit as for providing pressure to the WG (through another frequency valve) as for the boost maps through the rpm range and TPS position.
        This means OEM boost control will of course no more be effective (which actually is the reason why you're willing to have a BC )

The potentially dangerous drawback is OEM ECU has a built in knock detection feature and high temperatures detection, which both retards ignition advance and lowers boost if pinging or too high teps are detected. You'll totally loose the boost adjustement: ECU will start retarding ignition, but in some cases this will not be enaugh and if knock will occur and the driver is not fast enaugh to lift the throttle severe damage could result.

Personally, for very custom tuning purposes for which "off the shelf" or lightly customized eproms are not available, I would prefer to have a "piggy back" fuel + ignition timing computer and let the OEM ECU manage boost control (through a modded boost Eprom) which preserves OEM safety features.

Just my point of wiew.

Marco

Comment

I too think that the stock ECU setup, with modified chips is a lot better way of controlling boost. The the aid of super stiff WG springs, wastegate creep can be cured and boost can hit in early. Also the ECU can control if any problems arise such as boost leaks, temp probs, or pinking.
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

This should help

APEXi Boost Controler URS4 Install Link

Comment

Originally posted by mbcouple
              This should help