Boost leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost leaks

The garage weekend provided me with 2 boost leaks. First one was the accordian hose which I cured using a nice peice of SS. Cheers to Bill for that. The second one was the throttle body one. Damn thing.

The new std one arrived today and after fitment i took it out for a blast. When I used to floor it, it used to make a rushing air type noise behind the dash. This is now gone, making me think that that leak has been there for months. The car now goes like **** off a shovel. Dont think the mapping is quite right tho. When I got home tonight, I lifted the bonnet and the manifold flange - turbo flange was glowing cherry red!!! Me thinks its running a bit too rich(?)

Mihnea any thoughts?
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Yup mate, that was to be expected. I was sure I had mapped it on the rollers with a boost leak, but it is not running too rich, but rather a bit (or a lot) too lean. This is why your EM to turbo flange was glowing red. However, how dark was it outside when you did this? If it wasn't dark at all, I'd avoid giving her WOT again until next time I'm in the UK...

An EGT gauge would have showed you instantly if there was a problem with the mixture or not tho.... now go get one

Cheers,

M., still tired as fook from this weekend
    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
    info@MRCTuning.com
    Workshop Directions

Comment

It was pitch black. I dont know what boost its upto now either tho. And yes, soon has i have more money and EGT and boost setup are gonna be installed!

Its ok. Goes like hell now!! I reckon thats so much quicker than it has ever been!!! Cant wait to see what is going on with the mixture.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
        It was pitch black. I dont know what boost its upto now either tho. And yes, soon has i have more money and EGT and boost setup are gonna be installed!

Its ok. Goes like hell now!! I reckon thats so much quicker than it has ever been!!! Cant wait to see what is going on with the mixture.

Hmmm, given peak EGT while mapping it on the M1 was 840°C, I'd be very cautious, it will surely be ok for short bursts of power, but not any more than that...

If you're looking for an EGT, gimme a shout

'98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

Tom

That sounds exactly like my leak. When you floor it under load you get a rushing/escaping air type noise from under the bonnet.

Roll on the Samcos when I plan to pull the whole thing to peices and find that damn leak
          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Oh about Samcos , Paul any news on these ?
            Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

I thought you'd blown your car up again Tom? Or am I mistaken and you *plan* to blow your car up again

Nice to hear your car is behaving more as it should, though your underbonnet does kind of look like a lashed up nightmare of bits of hoses, steel pipes, and clips all over the place! Team Bodge indeed!

I had a leak on the throttle body pipe (cured by nipping up the clip) but it felt more like cutting out than losing boost. Looks like I'll have to watch out for a whole new round of leaks when boost gets turned up on mine.

Roll on the samcos! (Though I gather some of em won't fit on mine now! )

PJ
              'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Mine would cut out if it was std, but due to the mapping it wont! Always blame the tuner. LOL

New hose from Audi £14!! It doesnt matter how long it lasts, its dirt cheap, and my stainless mod is stronger than any rubber hose.

@Mihnea, give me a PM about that EGT. I must get one.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I had that hose to the throttle body break - very similar to Toms. I heard a hissing for a long time before - I think it was a small hole and only opened under lots of boost - eventually I was getting the turbo spinning and a very small amount of boost but no movement.

I have mine sitting here if Leigh wants it - I hope I get the samcos before mine goes back together.

Can you get that EGT with a smaller display? (or at least a smaller box)
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Cheers for the offer Doug but I'd hate to take it and then the Samcos arrive late and you have a missing hose when you're trying to put the car together!

If it's only £14 I think I might buy a new one :eek2:
                    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Working...
                    X