Fast @5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast @5k

took the Audi for a blast tonight, u can feel the turbo coming in @ 2k but not really doing much, when it reaches 5k at really starts to put hard even feels quite fast. i have no idea what boost is there as no boost guage and cant do much as i go away tomorrow. from 2k to 5k it feels very flat.

gave it a good blast on my private road and hit 150mph the evo would read 160ish on the same stretch but got there a lot quicker. The exhaust mainfold was bright red but my digi camera was no good as it was to dark. pity looked pretty good

any ideas why so flat.

will order a boost gauge, any advice on a good gauge and where to get it from. I used to have a Graham Goode gauge which was white and very steady, may just get another

Paul
    S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Sounds strage are you sure it's not chipped as mine would make at 153 as standard (dynoed at up to 282bhp!!!) and the book figure is 149 for the Avant. I measured it with GPS which is more accurate than a speedo (once knew of a Fiat Coupe turbo that ran 155 on the clock but was only actually doing less than 144...some speedos are more accurate than others!).

Mine was strong from 2.5k to 3.5k as standard and then tailed off markedly towards redline as stock. Now it seem much happier when kept between about 5.5 and 7.4 all of the time after the Mihnea 'magic touch'. Keep it nicely on the boil and ready for action

I have had hesitation twice. First time was caused by perished spark plug connectors caused by a leaking rocker cover gasket. This caused lots of hesitation (due to tracking) at high boost and as the boost tailled off at higher revs there was enough energy reaching the plug for it to spark properly again. The second time caused us no end of headackes during a recent remappign session. This was due to a dodgy fuel filter.

Boost info would be useful. Any chance of getting her on the rolling road as a decent one will give you mixture ratio and boost info vs revs during your runs...could be useful for some rudimentary diagnostics.

Lee
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

if it is chipped it is pretty slow. i have no time to check tonight. no matter if it is as i have ordered a home fries anyway. it should be here when i get home

rolling road is about 3 hours away. I will fit a boost gauge when i come home again and see what is going on. i will check out the leads and order up a new fuel filter just to be sure.

cheers

Paul

Comment

Changing the Avant fuel filter is a PITA! You have to drop the fuel tank first. This is probably why Audi say that it is a lifetime fit item. I have proved that this is not true and have suffered due to a blocked filter. I didn't drop the tank when I changed mine and I did it a different way which seems to be fine for the last few thousand miles since the change. I used a Coupe filter too which is slightly bigger

Designun Limited....

Comment

Paul, you might just have a boost leak somewhere, not so big, but enaugh to make the boost raise much slower than it should.

With a used car, boost leak detection is one of the topics on the "MUST" list (just like cambelt)....

Marco

P.S. your downpipe building is in progress. Will be ready for next week

Comment

Lee

sounds like everything on the Audi is a chew to do. I have a 4 post ramp at my house looks like it will get well used with this car.

Marco

I will go over everything when i get home again as i am pertty fussy that way, and fit a boost gauge. cam belt was done 10k ago, just as well because it sound like a major job as well

got a quote today for a 3" system from the front pipe ending in 2 oval tails 1 either side of the car like the RS4 i think £450 but may be more

yeah next couple of weeks is fine for the front pipe.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Oval either side is what im after as well, been to 2 different custom places and both got the car up on ramps, measured around and reckoned they couldnt do it!!

Cos thats the same thing i want too, would look really good i think
              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Yeah i got the same, the £450+ i was quoted for a 3" system exiting from original hole. guy said there was no way to do it. I am all the more determined to do it now. Prob will built 1 myself, just need to find out where to get the pipe and boxes from.

Comment

Fuel tank is in the way on the 80 B4Q Avant for a twin exit exhaust. Can't comment on the Coupe.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Dont forget to check two things
                    MAF sensor might need cleaning
                    Boost solonoid fequency valve might need replacing
                    happy Hunting and welcome aboard.
                    RS2 MTM

Comment

Working...
                    X