No announcement yet.

Please tell me its not what it seems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me its not what it seems...

Just been out in the S2 & noticed some steam from the back , even when its warmed up ( I know its a cold day). Yesterday I topped up the coolnat as , I got a Temp warning on the dash - This usually means the coolant level is low, as the temp itself is working well after an new MFTS.This only means 1 thing to me......

The head gasket is probably gone.It runs OK & havent noticed any misfiring , but when its ticking over, there are drops of water spluttering out of the exhausts & plenty of steam when its revved.

I have resigned myself to getting rid of the S2, unless someone can confirm that the Head Gasket is a cheap & easy swap. I know what the answer is going to be I think..................

any help appreciated.

I am poised to put an entry in the for sale column as I write this.......

:

it isnt necessarily your head gasket. It can just be that you have alot of moisture in the exhaust from the weather, washing it etc.

You need to do a few more checks before you jump to the conclusion of the headgasket

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I always thought that steam/water droplets from the back of the exhaust is a good thing:wacked: A sign of a healthy engine.

I've see many many new audi's, BM's and merc with this too.
      Coupe

Comment

Well it could be gasket if its losing water... but it might also just be a water leak from a hose or one of the radiators.

Exhausts will produce lots of steam in this sort of weather. To be sure, you should do some cylinder compression tests.

What I wouldn't do is try and sell the car with a possible gasket problem - it will only drive down the price for you.

Changing the head gasket isn't horribly complicated but its not really suitable for your average DIY mechanic. New head bolts are mandatory and whilst you have the head off there are plenty other simple jobs and checks you can do along the way.

TopTip - remove the head with manifolds and turbo attached. Its much less stressful that way (allowing you to separate the manifolds on the bench), but you might find the exhaust downpipe to be a royal PITA to separate...

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

can you tell us more about your car, what spec it is, when wasd yhe first time you noticed this. When was the last time you drove it or any incidences you might think might contribute
          RS2 MTM

Comment

how does your oil look? If it looks like mayonaise thick and creamy) then your HG is probably gone. Have you noticed any oil in the coolant tank? Check these things before you get rid of the car!
            Ben
            Calgary, Alberta
            Canada
            1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
            Panther Black Metallic
            www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

Does your car have catalytic converters? If so your exhaust will NEVER stop steaming/emitting water as one of the by products a cat produces from harmful exhaust emissions is WATER and loads of it!! If you are worried about your Head gasket, take it to an MOT station or garage that has a gas analyser and ask them if they would mind sticking the probe in your header tank to see if it registers any exhaust gases, this will indicate if your head gasket is leaking or not. I would imagine they may want to charge but wouldn't imagine it woul dbe more than a fiver! I f you are near Leicester pop in and I will check it for you.
              Hope this helps,
              Chris
              A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Nothing unusual has happened recently that im aware of. Ive topped up the coolant tank & will be giving it a run tonight, - now thats its warned up outside, I will be in a better position to check the steam situation & monitor the level of the coolant tank.........

thanks for your suggestions - MOT is up on th next week , so will get them to check the air gap at the top of coolant tank.
                cheers

Comment

SRF, there are markings on the side of my header tank which show max and min levels.

HTH

David

Comment

Working...
                  X