Intercooler size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler size

I've been doing a bit of research on this and have found that there is a definite balance with the size of the intercooler...too small hurts performance by not cooling the air enough and too large increases turbo lag. Has anyone who have upgraded their turbos and/or intercoolers looked into this?
    Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
    Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

I'd say you can't fit too large IC to a S2 with standard cross member. And now I'm meaning the lag.
    -

Comment

Can't imagine a larger intercooler causing excessive lag...

Its all moot anyway - the biggest intercooler us mere mortals can afford is the RS2 item anyway. You can adapt (or replace) the 3B or ABY X-member to work with the RS2 intercooler. The RS2 bumper is NOT needed.

Reckon on 1000 quid for any custom jumbo intercooler plus extra wads for bodywork mods etc

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

The theory is true, if you have a large intercooler it is going to take longer for the turbo to build up the pressure within it because it has a larger area to fill.

the sort of hp engines that would require IC's of that size will be producing considerable boost and more than likely be designed for racing so once off the mark the turbo is kept on the boil
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Which is the reason chargecoolers are a lot more efficient, they can afford to be fairly small and yet more effective than a large intercooler. I went from a 20V turbo intercooler (Ur quattro) to one from a 1989 200 Avant quattro turbo (1B) and ther way more delay in pick up between gearchanges than the smaller Ur quattro one. Worse! :eek2: When I constructed a chargecooler, based on the size of the intercooler fitted to the 10 / 20V Ur quattro, power was back up and it stayed there! You don't gain power, it just remains constant, regardless of how many timed runs you do. Run your car on a dyno, and you'll notice that the first run generally produces better results, gradually dropping off, same goes for timed runs...

Comment

S2central: I just can't imagine what kind of work require 1000 quid(~2000$) on any engine part here where i live.

I'll be charged 100quid max here for any custom intercooler. It's the same as I can't imagine 1000quid/year insurance . We have 140quid max on audi s2 car.

So it's basicly deppends where you live.

Would be good to know what dimensions are best suited for medium chipped/performance 2.2turbo. Some 300HP. Bigger than rs2 IC?
            Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

I`m planning some major upgrades for my s2 and one of that is an custom built intercooler. Or a bigger one then the original rs2 one.
              If this is fitted with a bigger turbo i guess the turbo lag shouldn't be so big if fitted with an original turbo?

Comment

Lag is only a problem if you let it become one. It all depends on how the car is driven. If, like me, you keep the car on the boil all the time then you dont tend to notice it too much. If i keep my car above 3000 rpm, then lag is almost gone. Its spinning out 1.6 bar at about 3200rpm. From throttle off, to throttle on boost builds very quickly. Im just using an RS2 intercooler and at this stage of tune it is more than enough.

But if you drive a bit more econ. then a large turbo would cause you problems and i would stick to something like RS2 turbo for this reason only.

I would consider a custom intercooler, or chargecooler, if i were turning the boost up much more. Infact i may even have a chargecooler built. A company in my home town makes custom coolers, so this maybe an option in the future.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

@Tom - Don't forget you have that big-*** WG spring to minimise the lag with your big-*** K26/27 hybrid.

Reminds me that I need to tweak your fuelling a touch more before the next group therapy session

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yes please Mr. Nugent sir.

Do you reckon i should chuck that beefier WG spring in? Get rid of the standard one that i bought from you back along?

I need therapy. I could meet you on Saturday week if thats any good?
                    Im going up to Lincon for a week tomorrow so let me know and i will travel straight to your gaf.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                    X