This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick, Easy & Handy Engine modification

I didn't want to post this until I'd got the part, tried it myself - but its quite a neat little accident that I discovered when looking at the AAN engine.

Its only practical if you have already removed the auxiliary radiator.

See the photo for a 'flange' that attaches to the power steering pump. This is standard fitment on AAN engines but not S2 or RS2. Why is it useful I hear you ask ?

Few reasons I like it in no particular order -

1. Gives you a means of hand-cranking the engine without having to take off bumper and intercooler off to get access to the bottom pulley. Great for checking your timing.

2. Gives you a handy counter-hold when removing the PAS pump pulley - which is necessary if you need the upper timing belt cover off.

3. Stops moisture and grime getting in round the PAS pulley which can give rise to some hassles when removing it from the pump. Not a biggie that one, but its there.

Parts required -

Flange, 054 145 505B 1-off
    Bolts, N903 086 05 3-off

Total cost (even from a stealer) = approx 2 quid !

Time required to fit it 10-15 minutes max. The two bolts at 12 & 6 o'clock come out a treat thru that window in the lock carrier using an M6 key on a socket driver. The other one was tighter access and needed an ordinary allen key. The new bolts need nipped up to about 25-30Nm from memory - its an M8 bolt.

You know it makes sense

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

neat trick that
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Might have to add this to the increasing list of parts from vagparts

Comment

Neat trick, will it completely not work if you have the aux rad present?

Comment

I v.much doubt you could access it with the auxrad in place... Not 100% sure though - mine is off and I never looked back !
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

yep the extra space without the aux is just amazing, so easy to get to everything at the front and i've never seen any temps that suggest i should replace it...
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
              yep the extra space without the aux is just amazing, so easy to get to everything at the front and i've never seen any temps that suggest i should replace it...
              For a different thread really i've done both, on the open road no difference.

Crawling in traffic the fan kicks in a lot more often without the Aux rad.

Comment

Paul,

I've done this on my project motor. I had the parts around and just stuck it on one day. I wondered why the S2/RS2 didn't have this originally...but know I know it is the aux rad. I guess my modified pulley will need to be removed before the motor goes in.

Comment

I dunno for sure - you might still be able to access the modified pulley bolt with an offset wrench or even a socket whilst the auxrad is in place.

I can go take a look to see how much clearance to expect if it helps.
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                    I dunno for sure - you might still be able to access the modified pulley bolt with an offset wrench or even a socket whilst the auxrad is in place.

I can go take a look to see how much clearance to expect if it helps.
                    Do you mind? Just for curiosities sake.

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                      Paul,

I've done this on my project motor. I had the parts around and just stuck it on one day. I wondered why the S2/RS2 didn't have this originally...but know I know it is the aux rad. I guess my modified pulley will need to be removed before the motor goes in.

Not one but 2 engines!

I'm buying one of these mods what the hell

Comment

So I guess get them in quick before VAG realise that they are a useful little aftermarket part and put the price up 10 fold

excellent work as usual Paul
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                          I'm buying one of these mods what the hell
                          I know where you can find one cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            So I guess get them in quick before VAG realise that they are a useful little aftermarket part and put the price up 10 fold

excellent work as usual Paul
                            Yeah its a nice little mod mines sitting at home waiting to go on when I get around to fitting my suspension/rs2 farb

Comment

Working...
                            X