10w-40, What does it mean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philS2 View Post
    i've just bought four 20 litres of mobil one 15/50 motorsport and was begining to think i'd made a mistake,then as i read on i thought i was ok,then not ok,then ok. either way it's going in.

dont forget to`shake it all about` and how does the oil seem, its my next job
    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

don't know yet.but i'll post my pressure readings and pick up time,before and after.it's got synta gold at the minute so should see a raise in pressure,but also slightly longer pick up time.

Comment

where did you buy it from demon tweeks want 67 quid for 5 lts
        ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
        THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

i bought 5L from halfords @ about £45 and 20L from wessex petroleum for £117.

Comment

of what?
            Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
            oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
            email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
            phone: 01209 202944

Comment

mobil 1 15/50 motorsport.

Comment

How did running 15w 50 oil go for you?

I have a 7a engine and am experiencing very high oil bar readings (+5) from running semi synthetic 10w 40.

wondering if a change to synthetic 15w 50 (as the Haynes manual recommends) would resolve this?

Also - isn’t Mobil 1 15w 50 a bike oil!?

Comment

The higher the number, the thicker.
                  not sure why you are worried about high pressure readings.....?

Comment

As my Oil Bar is showing a pressure reading that is well over 5, closer to 6/7 when driving, I am worried about the impact that this may have on my engine.

However I am beginning to think it’s more of a faulty switch as I just went for a drive and displayed 3/5 bar...Still going to change the oil to fully synthetic.

Comment

OMG. Didn't realise I still had this subscription for this thread.
                      As I remember there were no issues, but the reason I started using that grade was because Grant Parker who ran a 900hp golf with a 2.2 5cyl 20v and Audi 200 running gear reckoned it was a good idea. Maybe for him, yes, but for road, no, I realised.
                      Can't remember what I put in after that, as I sold it in 2014.
                      Now for road I always use Castrol fully synthetic at the the grade(ish) that is recommend. If it's 5w40, I will drop to 5w30, as it's cheaper.
                      There's a great you tube vid about oil viscosity, by that American engineer.

Comment

Working...
                      X