Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak

Ahhhh, I've broke it again!!!!

I gave my Avant a good blast this morning on the way to work but when I parked up I was confronted with smoke billowing from under the bonnet.

A quick look under the bonnet showed the engine had decided to spray oil all over the engine bay. It looks as though it's coming (I say coming but most of it is already out) from either the oil pressure gauge sender or low pressure switch.

So it's back in the works caddy van for the weekend. I will order a pair of senders on monday and see if they cure it.

Fingers crossed theres no other damage. I was doing 120-140mph (on the network of private roads between my house and work ) for about 25 minutes so it would have been losing oil at a fair rate (although the warning lamp didn't come - hopefully a good sign).

I passed one of the blokes I work with on the way and he informs me I was doing a very good impression of the red arrows display team!!!

It would be an awful shame if I've cooked the turbo as it will have to be an RS2 turbo to replace it (along with all the associated bits and bobs). Best start being extra nice to the boss just in case.

Ben
    Last edited by s2avant; 28 March 2004, 12:03.
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Ben,
    ive been having probs with my pressure sender, keep getting beeped at occasionally when going over 120 (on my runway in my garden ) or reving over 6k, oil level is good and pressure guage is at 4bar. how much is a new pressure sender?
    cheers
    martin

Comment

Pressure gauge sender is about £56+VAT.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

You will be able to get the ramp back soon as i pick my car up today!!!!!!
        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Ben

any luck with the, is it fixed yet

Paul
          S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Ben,

does that old bus of yours ever spend more than 3 days on the road ;-) Hope its ok??

Martyn
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

His does at the min, cos mine takes up too much room in the garage he goes to!

Comment

She's back.

It was the oil pressure switch. Not the easiest thing to get to, but easy when you have the right kit to hand. Had to have it recovered back to Hinckley though.

@Martyn,

I drive 300 miles to work and back evry week so any excuse to reduce my fuel bill

Ben

sigpic

Comment

way to go Ben!!

Let Beetie spend the time at the Lion, keep yours on the road. What ever happened to your rear bumper?

Martyn
                  Martyn
                  -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Rear bumper is still hanging off on one end. Need to get it off and down to my friendly bodyshop. I've got a week of work coming up so I'll be hopefully getting it sorted then.

Beetie can keep the ramp for a bit longer.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Im hoping she'll be back on the road at the end of the week, if not early next (and believe me so is Jason!)

Comment

Working...
                      X