MAF very close to turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF very close to turbo?

Hi guys any suggestions on the following?
    I am just about to finish my project ( KKK26/27/29, MTM imo, etc).
    I have moved the auxiliary "radiator" to the right so there is space for a filter between the headlamp and the auxiliary rad. which is ideal since it will get fesh air right from the mask. Will i have any problems if the RS2 MAF is 10cm away fro tme filter and 15cm away from the turbo? Note that i will use a matrix (vertical and horizontal pieces of metal in the adapter from Maf to Filter. Any ideas or BTDT welcome

My MAF sits away from the turbo as I have the standard iintercooler to throttle body intake(you have an MTM intakemanifold don't you?) so can't do what you are doing.

K26/27/29 turbo
    Attached Files
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Mmmmmm, sounds a bit close to me. I know that the manifolds can get very hot. Wouldnt like to say if the MAF will be OK. Mount it as far away as possible and just run some cold air ducting to the filter.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

is it possible to carry air filter under headlights; behind the side grille of front bumper?
        Quattro

Comment

is it possible to carry air filter under headlights; behind the side grille of front bumper?
          Timucin, yes it is , I have mine behind the side grill of the bumper. You can just see it in this picture, its too dark out now to take a closer one, but you'll see what I mean.
          I am going to move mine further up because I am worried about sucking up a puddle one day (it rains a lot here), but maybe that wont be such a problem for you in Turkey? .

Mark.
          Attached Files
          Mark - Modded

Comment

you have a lovely car! cool

what is the size of your air filter? shape?
            i am asking cause i was planning to fit 9 inch long 7 inch diameter round straight filter.

or what size should i get
            Quattro

Comment

Timucin,

its a cone, but not that big .....you could fit a larger one in there by pointing it backwards, or by mounting it vertically so that it is pointing down. Probably best to find a place and orientation that you want for the filter and fix it there and then assemble the pipework/hoses from the turbo to the filter using different bends, with the MAF and DV in the middle. I had to extend the looom to the MAF too, as it was not long enough.

Mark.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

I am going to fit the filter exactly behind the RS2 badge on the mask. I moved the auxiliary radiator to the right so a filter can be put between the headlamp (modified the metal behind the headlamp too) and the radiator. I am getting a digital camera the day after tommorow so i post some pics. Tha space is enough for heat insulation and the turbo will breathe as much as possible. My only concern is the MAF due to air hitting very hard the hot wire inside the MAF. Note that the MAf is heatshielded too and the inox hose from Maf to filter will have inside vertical and horizontal piece of metal in order to prevent air entering from spinning ( don't know if i used the right word).Anyway i will post the results and pics. Hopefully i ll get a better sound too!!!

Comment

I am going to fit the filter exactly behind the RS2 badge on the mask
                  Nick,

this is where I would like to move mine up to.
                  Look forwards to seeing the pics, when you take them for some ideas .

Cheers,

Mark.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

You also do not want to mount the MAF to a solid part of the car or solid hose - One of the reasons MAFs break is because there are too many shocks going through them - Audi didn't follow Bosches recommendations on mounting these on standard cars (solid airbox mounted straight to the bodywork) - or so I have heard through the Belgian grapevine
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Mark must be mad leaving that filter down there. Especially in this country. I suppose its not much of a problem in the mddle of london, but i have to travel through the lanes to get to work. great fun until you meet a tractor doing 15 mph!!!!!! :eek2: :eek2:
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Funny you should mention Tractors Tom .

Mark.
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

Mark i am getting a digital camera tomorrow so i will post some pics.
                          I need your help on this : i want to fit a catch tank ( i have read the the relative thread with your posts). If i dont fit one but just take the hose going to the intake and prolong it and leave it to the atmosphere will there be any problem ecu wise or whatever?

Comment

If i dont fit one but just take the hose going to the intake and prolong it and leave it to the atmosphere will there be any problem ecu wise or whatever?

Nick,

I dont think so, as that is essentially what I and a few others have done, but just without the catch tank. I dont see how it could affect the ECU because it is just crankcase pressure (piston blowby) that you would be venting to atmosphere. It would be a problem if you were venting pre-combustion gases to atmosphere, as in say, an atmospheric DV, BUT blowby gases vented from the crankcase are after the combustion process, so I dont think that it would cause a problem.
                            It hasnt been a problem for me. What I will do when I finally get my new engine in and everything sorted out, is vent the gases into the Downpipe like Bigtoe describes in the thread you mention.
                            There was a brief debate over on Kruemmer starting with message # 1727 and ending with # 1731.

I can only speak from experience and it hasnt caused me any problems, maybe someone else here has something to add?

Cheers,

Mark.
                            Mark - Modded

Comment

Does the drain of the catch tank have to be connected to the sump?
                              How much oil is actually collected in the tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X