Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Options...who is using what?

Hey everyone
    Looking to upgrade my turbos,even though i have not installed any as yet i sold what i had on me.
    Owned an RS2 rebuilt charger and a K24/K26 Hyrbid.(K24 Hot side and K26 Cold side)

I am looking for a about 350whp at about 17 psi on a 2.0 4 cylinder.Was looking at a K26/27 or a K26 T04E or a K26 T44 Hyrbid.
    Tell me what you guys think and is there anyone here using a T03/T04 or any other Garret component?
    thanks
    Sam
    Issam N. Abed
    iABED Industries
    iABED Email | Facebook
    The build thread

Properly chipped, cammed and fuelled, the RS2 will develop 370-380 bhp. It will also have plenty of torque available from 3000rpm - or lower with the right WG spring that is controlled by the revised mapping.

I see no point in looking at Garrett installations when such a simple bolt on upgrade is available for a ~350bhp target. The RS2 turbo is a peculiar K24/26 hybrid that was specifically designed for the 2226cc engine by KKK for Porsche and Audi when they collaborated on the RS2 project.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I second Paul on this. For the kind of output the K24 7200 is definitly a good turbocharger, with low surge and good turbine spool up.

Anyway, being the application ona 2.0L IL4, which still needs a customized exhaust layout, some other options might be available.
      Form the compressor maps I have, the only T04E cold side which seems suitable is the 40 trim, which still has a lot higher surge line compared to the RS2 one.
      Much better, in this respect, are the GT28R and GT28RS, both ball bearing and the second allowing some higher boost in the midrange.
      The GT28R seems a little tight for the 350 hp goal, unless running relatively low boost levels not higher than 1.5-1.6, with 1.2 bar @ 7500. Should provide a good build up of boost from 2500 rpm on, though.
      What kind of stroke does the engine have? Consider if stroke is near the 90mm or higher, engine will not like too much running significantly over 7000 rpm.

Here are the maps:

1) RS2
      Attached Files

Comment

GT28R....
        Attached Files

Comment

GT28RS...
          Attached Files

Comment

Well the Manifold will be A early Turbo Diesel one.I will then have an Adapter made from Stainless stell which extends from under the intake manifold(counterflow) to the fender wall where i want the turbo to sit.
            I sold my RS2 and My hybrid K24/K26 so i am looking at my options.I know the RS2 is the ideal turbo for the inline 5 engine but it is an expensive turbo....i could not afford it new so i had to take it rebuilt.Right now the only turbo i have in my possession is a K24 from a URS4.I heard these turbos are very good for a quick spool and are good till about 160km/h?
            My data may be very off but i know what path i am going in.I was offered a K26 T04 E hyrbid at a very good price and was wondering if i should take it.It seems everyone has a thing against KKK turbos yet i see guys in here with KKK turbos pushing 500bhp +.
            I cant push 500 because i dont have Quattro(maybe ill buy an S2 coupe and start all over again).This would have never been an issue if we didnt have the importation ban on cars older than 3 years.But i have to stick with what i have for now and then move on later.

Basically i want a quick spooling turbo allowing me to get up there quickly,top end is really not an issue for me and i dont plan on going over 220km/h.So the quicker i get up there,the happier ill be.
            Issam N. Abed
            iABED Industries
            iABED Email | Facebook
            The build thread

Comment

350bhp at the wheels

What other engine work has been done to get that sort of power from a little 2.0 IL4?? Is the TD manifold high flowing then? The last one i saw looked more restrictive than std S2 one.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                350bhp at the wheels

What other engine work has been done to get that sort of power from a little 2.0 IL4?? Is the TD manifold high flowing then? The last one i saw looked more restrictive than std S2 one.
                Ported head
                Polished with aggresive porting on the exhaust side.
                Forged Suloy pIstons lowerin CR to 8:5:1
                3A conrods (suppisdly the strongest VAG produced for inline 4)
                Autotech 268 cam...autotech valve springs.Biggest Valve i could stuff in that head.....3 angle valve grind.
                Custom made turbo manfiold(still working on it) VR6 TB.
                Low impedance 550cc injectors....
                engine mangement is 034efi stage Ic with individual coil packs.
                Intercooler is Spearco 32" X 8 x 3
                Wastegate is Tial 38mm
                Blow off Valve is Blitz or Tial 50mm(have not decided which i am going to use)
                The td manifold supposidly flows better than the ATP one....i only need it as a base for my adapter piece.
                GOt the idea from this guy....

http://matt325i.home.comcast.net/Web...es/adapter.jpg

anyone laughing yet?

So i am pretty much looking for a turbo that will support this at around 17-18psi.
                Issam N. Abed
                iABED Industries
                iABED Email | Facebook
                The build thread

Comment

Wizard - good luck with the project... I hadn't spotted the subtle but imprtant fact that you are modding a 2.0 4 cylinder engine... Sorry. Top marks to Marco for his reply and lovely compressor maps !

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                    Wizard - good luck with the project... I hadn't spotted the subtle but imprtant fact that you are modding a 2.0 4 cylinder engine... Sorry. Top marks to Marco for his reply and lovely compressor maps !

Paul
                    Thanks for the ecouragement Paul.If i cant work with what i have then how will i ever be able to modify any car?
                    yes i know ill be the first but i am sure after i am done everyone will follow.There was this one guy in the US that did a 1.8T conversion in a Type89 FWD.Everyone laughed at him and told him good luck because the 1.8T transplants were hell to do like 4 years ago.
                    Now they are about 8-10 guys doing the same conversion.Some doing S4 engine conversions and some building V8 twin turbo's
                    Issam N. Abed
                    iABED Industries
                    iABED Email | Facebook
                    The build thread

Comment

Turbo Options...who is using what?

I use a KX600 turbo. It's a K27/28 hybrid.

OZzzt

Comment

when does it start spolling?
                        Issam N. Abed
                        iABED Industries
                        iABED Email | Facebook
                        The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD
                          when does it start spolling?
                          On my setup I get maximum boost pressure @ ~3500rpm in 5th and 6th gear, and somewhere around 4000rpm in the other gears.

OZzzt

Comment

not bad....looking for 17psi or so around 3000rpm's if so much.
                            Any suggestions?
                            Again why do you guys not like Garret?
                            Issam N. Abed
                            iABED Industries
                            iABED Email | Facebook
                            The build thread

Comment

Have you looked into the K03 or K04 turbos from the 1.8T engines?

My mate has a 1.8T TT engine in a mk3 golf and their is no noticeable lag.

I think the K03 are good for 220bhp - K04 are good for 270bhp but the guys who are serious about modding the 1.8T are getting the jabba conversion using their IHI turbo:

http://www.jabbasport.com/turbokit-4.html

350bhp 280lb/ft

HTH
                              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
                              X