RS2 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Turbo

Can somebody tell me if the RS2 turbo can fit on a S2 EM? Do i need any other mods? My S2 standard turbo is knackered and want to replace with RS2, so might as well do so now, but cannot afford every single mod in one go!
    Would the 3B homefry actually need changing if i got hold of an RS2 turbo for the car or not? HELP!:wacked:
    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

It will fit straight on - but you would be best to get a custom homefry for that.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Yes the RS2 turbo will bolt onto the S2 ex manifold, but flow is not as good as RS2 manifold so performance won't be as good.

You would need custom mapping from Mihnea on this pseudo RS2 configuration - possibly along with green injectors and 7A FPR - akin to the configuration that TomC has on his car (with a K26/27 of course).

I can do chips for an ABY with stock injectors and the RS2 turbo, but the 3B is horribly sensitive to program properly and I thoroughly recommend you leave that to Mihnea.

Oh - I would go for an RS2 intercooler as well - the 3B item is teenyweeny.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

The RS2 turbo DOES fit the standard S2 EM.
        Of course you won't be able to run full potential out of it untill all the others mods are accomplished.
        Paul N. and Mihnea will know better, but I guess the homefry will push the low boost threshold a little too low for the RS2 coldside (given the hot side will be able to spool up at that rpm), therefore eventually entering the surge area of it.

Apart from this and a slightly higher lag I cannot see any other drawback.

Marco

Comment

I knew i could count on a reply from you! I was planning to send the ecu this weekend to paul, but just for a standard homefry, that was before i found out this. Does the custom homefry have to be done with the car there in person (well in car!) or can it be done with the ecu out?
          I dont suppose you know anybody selling one do you?

Comment

sorry cross posting!
            Ok so i need RS2 em aswell, i sort of knew this but need to watch expenditure as ive still got to pay the garage a few bob! God this is annoying
            Oh and a remap.....

Comment

Beetie, i would recomend gettint the RS2 ex manifold at the same time, i just got the turbo first, wish i'd done it all at the same time, because i could have swapped the manifolds whilst the head was off, its highly likely that a couple of manifold studs will snap BTDT, which required head removal again :wacked:
              the stock manofold is a pile of pants really,
              even at only 1bar my car feels faster than it ever has.
              if i put my foot down any more the clutch starts slipping
              theres another thing, hows your clutch??
              and your gearbox!!
              and your credit card!!!!!!
              oh look..im skint again!!!!

martin

Comment

I should think i will but im going to be stressing big time if the head has to come off again, that would be the third time and the garage aint going to like it! Its just a nuisence that its happened in one go!
                So far its had:- Block, refurbished cylinder head, clutch, every conceivable air hose, DV, 2 head gaskets, clutch slave cylinder, cambelt, god knows how many other bits
                Total spenditure is around £3500, and its not even modded in any way my overdraft only covers so much!
                Im feeling stressed, i think ill go for a few beers tonight

Comment

For the extra expense of the RS2 ex. manifold its worth it. You will not need to change the injectors, just up the fuel pressure using a 7A FPR, only about 45 quid.

Change the intercooler too, the 3B is even smaller than an ABY, its crap.

You could get away with stock manifold, but its not worth it. Do the job once and once only.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Agree with TomC on this one... and would add :

- Fit a new metal head gasket along with new head bolts
                    - Upgrade the big end bearings
                    - Upgrade your clutch and think seriously about using a beefy 016 instead of 01A on the 3B as it will stand much more abuse

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I know where your all coming from, but seriously got to look at finances:eek2: ,i always do do things once and once only, its the best policy.
                      Really need to get it on the road now, as its been a right dog arranging lifts everywhere, and i work really unsociable hours which doesnt help
                      Has had a new metal head gasket about a week ago, as i had to use my cylinder head on the new block. Runs like a dream upto boost, but theres that much play just 'appeared' in the bearing shaft its not worth running with it, hence whilst its in bits as such ill try to get it all done now.
                      Does it still need remapping if i use the S2 injectors?
                      Again can anybody help with locating a turbo and em?
                      Getting desperate now, its been on the road for 4 weeks out of 6 months and ive just had to get 12 months tax!:wacked:

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net

- Upgrade the big end bearings

Paul
                        Can You tell me more ? what are those ?
                        AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

If money is an issue - then just get a nicely rebuilt K24 turbo and stop torturing yourself with the silly expense of a proper RS2 conversion.

A silly mortgage, a good woman, a happy 2yr old and all the other expenses of life have to come before the beloved S2 and any dreams I have of a monster conversion one day...

Its not a competition mate - just be thankful you never have the credit card debt of some of our illustrious members on the board.

This forum isn't about 'mines bigger than yours' - a healthy 3B, properly chipped will keep you entertained for a long time - don't get sucked into the black hole of big upgrades by peer pressure until you can properly afford it. Gosh I'm being awfully philisophical today ! Sorry if I spelt that wrong

Cheers,

Paul
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

@ Albert -

The 'big end bearings' are where the pistons join the crankshaft. These are stronger on the ABY and RS2 engines in comparison to 3B and RR. Definitely recommended on serious 3B upgrades.

Interestingly though, Mihnea reckons the 3B conrods are stronger than ABY/ADU as they have more material on them.

I've never seen any testing on them, but I suspect the ABY / ADU rods are lighter to partially counteract the higher rotating mass of that damn DM flywheel.

Cheers,

Paul
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                              @ Albert -

The 'big end bearings' are where the pistons join the crankshaft. These are stronger on the ABY and RS2 engines in comparison to 3B and RR. Definitely recommended on serious 3B upgrades.
                              I'm are using TDi bearings ... works very good. I did not know the name for that in english

weit a sec ? do You meen pistons to roods or rood to crankshaft ??
                              AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

Working...
                              X