No announcement yet.

Not boosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom - I think Mike said there was no service interval on the fuel filter!
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Mihnea, cheers for that, checked the lambda but i only have an analogue meter so as u can imagine not much good as the needle swings to much.

What I did find though was my lamda was not connected. The black wire was but the 2 white wires that go to the pulg were not. It looks a new lambda so i bet they never connected it up again.

It is working as i have a tester for that, I will buy a digital meter tomorrow.

That may well have been the cause of the very poor MPG.

Paul
      S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net

@Leigh - I had forgotten you still needed an upgrade, so as soon as I get my spare ECU back from PaulM, I shall get you sorted. That won't fix your air leak, but you will at least then be up to spec when the Samcos arrive.

Cheers,

Paul
        Paul

Thanks for the offer. Let me know when you get the ECU back. To be honest the car can do without it for a few days I have a second car these days!

Also did you get the WGFV I sent a few weeks back?

Leigh
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Leigh

I was hoping Paul N got the ecu on Saturday but the post office don't promise next day delivery on a Friday, so if Paul got it Monday and I get it Tuesday we will all be happy, but i doubt I wil see it Tuesday, if not I am offshore Wednesday @06:00 so will prob be 2 weeks before u get the ecu. hope that aint too long for Paul or U. If it is a major prob I wil see if some1 here can swap the ecu's but to be honest I trust no 1 with my car.

cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            Initially there were some chip related niggles that affected some (not all) ABY Avants, as the extra weight implied higher load and therefore less advance that could be sustained on the generic ABY chips. This was resolved many months ago by reducing the timing a 'tad' at WOT.
            What exactly does this "load" figure in VAG-COM tell us? How is the load value measured (or calculated)? If the extra weight on the Avants leads to higher load values, wouldn't the same thing happen on a Coupe going up a hill?

Secondly, is there no way to check the boost pressure seen by the ECU with VAG-COM? Didn't find it...
            Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

I was hoping nobody would ask that about VAG-COM. The 'load' parameter is very odd. Certainly the higher the load placed on the engine, the higher this value. At idle its approx 30% which sounds a bit silly though when you know that full throttle is 100% or higher - as it can be.

If the engine does not detect WOT, like Jims, then load does not go above 100%. There is a correlation (unknown to me) between the load value which the ECU generates and how it is used in the maps. Would be nice to know this calculation but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

@PaulM - yes your ECU arrived here yesterday, but time simply did not permit me to turn it round last night. Keep a hold of mine whilst you are off-shore, yours will be with you before you come home then send back my spare.

As for boosting behaviour - with all this talk about 1.4bar in overboost - lets always remember that with a stock K24 this is only available until ~4000rpm. For reasons of longevity, and performance as that little turbo will just turn into a heat pump if asked to boost too high, the boost profile is designed to reduce from ~4500rpm to redline where it is about 0.9bar.

If yours is holding silly pressure above 5k then I suspect the WG spring has been tightened or replaced by Superchips. Check that ASAP - the generic ABY chips work only with the stock WG spring - in stock position which I can advise or adjusted carefully to reduce lag a little more.

I agree with Mihnea about fuel pressure - get it checked ASAP.

Also - yes the car will run horribly with lamda disconnected - get a multimeter to make sure the one you have is healthy. At full load you shouldn't see it much lower then 0.8V from memory - if it is that would also point to low fuel pressure - possibly caused by a blocked fuel filter.

@Leigh - yes I got the WGFV in the post - go ahead and send your ECU for the free upgrade when you like - I had forgotten about your quality 2nd car :-)

Also - when I talk about 1.4bar boost - what I really mean is 2.4bar absolute pressure working with a nominal value of 1bar atmospheric pressure. On a day when ambient pressure is 1.1bar then you'll only see 1.3bar of 'boost' - comprendez ?

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I was playing with the nut on top of the Wastegate and getting diff boost results thats when I got 24psi. I have since turned it down again. Boost is addictive aint it it is very hard to control yourself u just think only a weeeee bit more. must have more discipline.

Paul, I will send the ecu back the day I come home. thanks again

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm
                    Leigh

I was hoping Paul N got the ecu on Saturday but the post office don't promise next day delivery on a Friday, so if Paul got it Monday and I get it Tuesday we will all be happy, but i doubt I wil see it Tuesday, if not I am offshore Wednesday @06:00 so will prob be 2 weeks before u get the ecu. hope that aint too long for Paul or U. If it is a major prob I wil see if some1 here can swap the ecu's but to be honest I trust no 1 with my car.

cheers

Paul
                    Paul

Don't worry mate I'm in no rush at all.

Leigh
                    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Ok took the car for a blast today with the multi meter connected to the Lambda.

WOT the very lowest reading was .86 this then rose to .89 volts. over the several times i tried it nearly always read .89 volts when i stamped on the throttle.

Is this correct. i have no idea of the range for lean / rich.

what sort of reading should i get at idle and how steady should it be

cheers

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X