This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercylinder help in removal + fitting pls

My Avant has a sticking clutch pedal as you guys have pointed out so should be able to get one of Al 2 morrow ...

Never really done this myself b4 but doesnt look that difficult ..

But just in case, I am sure there is an easy way to do this and also there may be a "be careful with that "

So, all help woudl be appreciated b4 I get stuck in on the morrow

MAny thanks

Julius
    S2 Avant ABY

Getting the master cylinder in and out isnt too much of a problem, its a bit tight and you'll probably end up with the complementary scrapes off the Reservior heat shield. Just mould it back closer to the reservior and twist it slightly anti clockwise. The hard part is bleeding it. (It isnt that hard though)
    The way i done it was to first put the car into 6th gear will full right lock on fo access (It moves the rack right) get a 1/4 socket that should fit the hex of the bleed nipple (It wont yet as the nipple itself wont let the socket go on far enough). Then drill the centre dection out of the socket so the nipple will go straight through into the drive side of the socket. Either put the socket onto the nipple then put the ratchet into the remaining drive of the socket (Depends on how long your socket is) or use the shortest extension possible if required.
    If you have access to a gunsons eazibleed it makes it soooooo much easier, or use the old on and off the pedal method with a mate, bleed the clutch as you would bleed the brakes, unfortunately you will spill oil down the box, but just wash it off and she'll be fine.
    Attached Files
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Here is a better pick to describe how it fits and why it needs drilling
      Attached Files
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Just to echo Graham, an ezibleed makes this so much easier. From other posts on here others have found it v difficult to bleed using the traditional pumping method - myself included.

Use an ezibleed and establish a good flow - even though it wastes fluid it's worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Getting the master cylinder in and out isnt too much of a problem, its a bit tight and you'll probably end up with the complementary scrapes off the Reservior heat shield. Just mould it back closer to the reservior and twist it slightly anti clockwise. The hard part is bleeding it. (It isnt that hard though)
          The way i done it was to first put the car into 6th gear will full right lock on fo access (It moves the rack right) get a 1/4 socket that should fit the hex of the bleed nipple (It wont yet as the nipple itself wont let the socket go on far enough). Then drill the centre dection out of the socket so the nipple will go straight through into the drive side of the socket. Either put the socket onto the nipple then put the ratchet into the remaining drive of the socket (Depends on how long your socket is) or use the shortest extension possible if required.
          If you have access to a gunsons eazibleed it makes it soooooo much easier, or use the old on and off the pedal method with a mate, bleed the clutch as you would bleed the brakes, unfortunately you will spill oil down the box, but just wash it off and she'll be fine.

The push rod I take it is the other side so accesable from the right of steering column from the drivers foot well. Stciking clutch so that is what needs to be replaced. LInkage and all seems styraight fwd enough just fiddly!! any other ideas or hinst

Thanks for the top info though..

Julius
          S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Yeah in the footwell, there is a clevis pin through the rod end which has the pedal attached in the middle. The linkage requires a bit of fiddling with once its in as it is possible to get it to go over centre then the pedal falls to the floor. If it happens, pull it back up and adjust till it cant go over centre.

Comment

Just looked up the factory book on this task and it does indeed recommend using a one man brake bleeding kit (e.g. Eezibleed).

One thing surprised me is it calls up an operating pressure of 2.5bar on the bleed system into the hydraulic reservoir... That seems very high to me - I dunno why the book states that, but I would suggest much lower pressure to start with. Maybe the VAG bleed machine can safely supply that pressure but your average Eezibleed will NOT like it one lil bit !
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Oh and a long tube from the nipple to a 'pig pan' will let you catch the old fluid and stop it drizzling all over your gearbox...
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

BIG HELP NEEDED.

I have located nipple at the back of the linkage as per the arrow but for the life of me cant get a 12mm in there to undo the nipple, really f`ing annoying

Ideas asap please as have about 1.5 hours left of garage time.

Many thanks

Julius
                  S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Hi Sorry for the delay, i've been at the hospital. (My first child is born). Did you drill the centre of the socket out, if so it should go on, 12 sounds a bit big though, there is 2 hexes like the bleed fittings on the brake callipers, Its been a long time since i done mine but could swear its only about 9-11mm.
                    Graham

Comment

Hi Sorry for the delay, i've been at the hospital. (My first child is born). Did you drill the centre of the socket out, if so it should go on, 12 sounds a bit big though, there is 2 hexes like the bleed fittings on the brake callipers, Its been a long time since i done mine but could swear its only about 9-11mm.
                      Graham

Many Congratulations to you and your new family my man

All sorted now and understand the bit about using 6th Gear. Took me a while to work out that the nipple was behind the arrow so to speak.

Gunsens on, peddle sorted, many thanks for following up though and all the very best

Julius
                      S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Originally posted by s2bug View Post
                        Many Congratulations to you and your new family my man

All sorted now and understand the bit about using 6th Gear. Took me a while to work out that the nipple was behind the arrow so to speak.

Gunsens on, peddle sorted, many thanks for following up though and all the very best

Julius
                        Cheers Julius, glad you got it sorted, its not a bad job surprisingly for the S2.
                        My son is great, sleeps a lot, only wakes up once a night for a feed, touch wood we have a winner.
                        Graham

Comment

Working...
                        X