Cam timing guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urquattro-island View Post
    I see where you are going, since i have not tested this on the tall block, ill have to bow down. But i do not see how the timing belt can be that short, or you would not be able to fit a tensioner on there. And if there is room for the tensioner there is room to get the belt on, without moving any teeth, there are some tight belt changes going through my hands but, as i say have not tested the tall block in real life with 2,2belt so i trust you. was only saying that some have done it without problems.
    The 3B belt has 147 teeth. When using tall block you have to use a RS2 (150 teeth) or ABY/AAN (151 teeth) together with 3B tensioner.

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
      The 3B belt has 147 teeth. When using tall block you have to use a RS2 (150 teeth) or ABY/AAN (151 teeth) together with 3B tensioner.
      You can use the standard aby tensioner slightly modified and it will work.

Pisobiker did this and it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
        You can use the standard aby tensioner slightly modified and it will work.

Pisobiker did this and it's fine.
        Yes if you drill and tap the block for the tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
          Yes if you drill and tap the block for the tensioner
          no not at all, all you have to do is elongate the holes on the tensior body

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
            no not at all, all you have to do is elongate the holes on the tensior body
            My 2.5 block didn't have the ABY type tensioner holes

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
              Did you look for a Dayco belt of a better length?...Its where i got my 25mm from.
              Can you tell me more about Dayco?, have you got a website?

Comment

just...

http://www.dayco.com/
                Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                  @Jamo - you are absolutely right to ask and check this stuff - get a timing wheel and some time on your hands to take the measurements to assure yourself that the cam timing is what it should be...

Its only when the engine is running that you'll see if the timing pulses are in spec - the crank reference pulse MUST arrive within every other hall window - ideally in the middle of it but not crucial AFAIK. Actually with the engine on a stand you should be able to visually confirm if things are aligned.
                  Paul how do you check this, Vagcom?

Comment

Use a proper 'scope or possibly VAG-Scope. See this thread for details.
                    Last edited by Nuvo; 20 May 2009, 12:33.

Comment

Old thread, related question. Wich 2.5Tdi blocks has the tensioner holes?
                      Now you see me, now you don`t

80quattro.com

Comment

I don't think the Tdi blocks do have the holes, the aux roller is on the oil pump like the 3B. If you want to do it like Jamo you'll have to drill and tap the block.
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

To me it sounds like Jamo had the holes stock in his block?
                          Now you see me, now you don`t

80quattro.com

Comment

I was told they were there by default, I reckon Andy is right and Pisobiker tapped them. AndyP retapped them for me when he helped me out with the build so we had a mofo of a bolt on the tensioner.

The 3B method is definitely easier but the way mine has been done allows me to run an RS2 water pump which I think is a good thing in a block which potentially is holding a greater volume of coolant.

Comment

Working...
                            X