***urgent SOS***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***urgent SOS***

Brrrgghh, does anyone happen to have a spare fuel pump knocking about, or know where i can get one for thursday from

mine gave up and wouldnt start this morning leaving work.
    got the AA out, came to the conclusion its fuel related, i told him the pump is in the tank, we removed all covers etc, he saw the 4 wires going into that connector and insisted they werent for the pump (didnt look thick enough for power supply wires), yes he was a bit of a muppet btw.

so there i was insisting the pump is in the tank and he's insisting it must be underneath and that we MUST EMPTY THE FUEL TANK AND REMOVE IT TO GET AT THE PUMP...

i was biting my lip at this point
    i refused to do that and said to remove that big round securing ring to get at the pump...'oh but you need a special tool to remove that and i dont have one'.
    Anyway told them to take it home so had to wait an hour and a half for a flatbed

i been cursed the last 24hrs....took me 3 hours to get to work due to M25 getting shut with me still on it (big accident)
    and 4 hours to get home yeah

im off to bed

cheers for any help

martin
    Attached Files

Sorry about that, Martin. Try The Audi Centre, 07947 053267, Chelmsford. The owner's name is Dave Hawkins, he has quite a few late cars breaking in his yard and his prices are very reasonable. Good Luck.

Siena

Comment

Sounds like you are having a blast Martin - hope u get sorted out asap!
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Do you know for sure that the fuel pump relay is working OK ? Its triggered by the ECU of course and may be wired into an aftermarket IMMO as well. Don't change the pump unless you know for sure it ain't pumping.

I can check schematics if you wanna know how to temporarily bypass the FP relay...

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Mate I had exactly the same thing, my pump had indeed failed - the RAC guy traced power all the way in to the tank (you're right, the pump is in the tank). I got no warning that the pump was on the way out, it just died. Good luck finding a replacement pump quickly.
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

There is a signal getting to it when ignition is turned on, so it cant be the relay can it?
            doesnt it pulse for a few seconds when ignition is switched on?
            is the relay in the footwell

cheers for the tips.

ps. is a pump from a 93 coupe v6 the same?

martin

Comment

I have one spare lying around.
              cheers
              RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
              RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
              Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
              High Octane website

Comment

I have a brand new one sat at work that is wrong for my car if your interested give me some numbers and il check it out tomorow and can send it on a next day

Comment

cheers guys, @marty, mines a 3b also so will it fit?
                  i'm at work now till the morning so cant get any numbers for it,
                  does anyone have the part number to hand for 3b pump, and can tell me if the v6 pump will work. how much is a new one?
                  im trying to get it sorted for thursday night as have a long journey to make on friday morning

martin

Comment

They've superceded the fuel pump on early 3B's to the ABY pump.

You need:

8A0 906 091 G Pump £63.38 + VAT

895 201 355 B Fuel Line £21.11 + VAT

N 024 122 2 Pipe clip £0.60 + VAT

N 011 182 1 Nut £0.11 + VAT

N 011 182 2 Nut £0.12 + VAT

Prices are retail. Can't check availability as I'm at work.

The pump is the same as fitted to: NM, 7A, AAH (2.8 V6), ABC (2.6 V6).

You should be able to find one in a scrappy in needs be. The pump would appear to be the same on those engines when fitted in 80's,90's,100's.coupes and cabrios.

If it's a late car try to get the fuel pipe with banto bolt that goes on the top of the pump as this is what they changed (see above).

HTH

Ben
                    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

thanks ben, just what wanted to hear
                      i know of a V6 in a local scrappy so will give that a go.

next question....any special procedure to remove them, and how are they held in?

martin

Comment

Audi 100 ('83 - '91) is compatible. Grip the pump / sender unit firmly and pull steadily, with a slight twisting motion. Audi 80 / 90 / type 85 Coupe pumps are not compatible, as they are not in - tank units. Be careful when removing your unit and note orientation of sender unit, even bending the float arm slightly will result in wrong readings on the gauge...

Siena

Comment

sounds like the pump i have but i havent got the other bits thats why i never fitted it it a dodle to do no special tools required lump of wood or blunt bar to tap the locking ring around and its straight forward from there the new pump is a smaller diameter so you also need a diferent size holder its pipe fitting and electrical conections are also diferent so if you can get hold of a pump the same you wont need these just a straight swop thats what i was intending to do as i understand it there are some people hear who have fitted bigger pump and have requied the bigger holders and conections.
                          easyest option i would have thought for speed would be to get a s/hand pump the same if you can
                          let me know if you want the pump i have

Comment

ok thanks a lot, i'll let you know if i need yours marty.

lol..reminds me of when i changed the pump on my old coupe gt in the pi**ing rain in a car park in the lake district with a maglite a wheel brace and a pair of pliers

cheers
                            martin

Comment

Martin, sorry to hear about your problem, and the fuel pump!

I bought a new fuel pump for the neighbours Audi 80 from GSF, it was £80 and was Pieburg made. I used the old pipe and I have a set of pipe crimps. I swapped it over and it worked fine.

Euro car parts may be able to help as well.

HTH

David

Comment

Working...
                              X