Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holey pipes?

What's this? Is it important?
    I noticed this split in this hose on Friday at the track day when, after returning from a rather spirited run, I stopped the car, opened the bonnet and was greeted by the lovely sight (and smell) of burning oil coming from somewhere near the turbo... Anyway, the only thing that was obviously wrong was this:

Neither Lee or I could see any sign of obvious leakage from the turbo.
    Attached Files
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Its the pipe that goes from the IM to the dump valve(on mine it is).I would say you will be sucking plenty of unmetered air into the engine, but cant see that it would be causing oil to get onto the turbo.

Comment

The same pipe split on my 20v Urq.I was very dissapointed with the performance of the car when I first bought bought it,until that is,I replaced the split DV vacuum/boost line.Since there is always some oil in the inlet tract,perhaps some was blown thru the split pipe and dribbled onto something hot?I re-ran the DV line on the inlet side of the motor,over the top of the injectors,less heat,less likely to split again.This is a commom failure.

Comment

what's the part called exactly- I'll order a replacement tomorrow, is it ok to re-fit ?

Comment

Buy some silicone tubing. Much better and not at all expensive. Worth changing all of the small bore hoses while you are there. Some of the ones around the throttle body are a PITA. ChrisM changed all of his recently and I recall he had a few awkeward ones which took some time.

I need to buy some of this tubing in black for myself.
          1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
          Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
            Buy some silicone tubing. Much better and not at all expensive. Worth changing all of the small bore hoses while you are there. Some of the ones around the throttle body are a PITA. ChrisM changed all of his recently and I recall he had a few awkeward ones which took some time.

Totally agree with Lee on this and the hose description posted by someone else. Get yourslef a 3metre roll of 4mm ID silicone hose in your favourite colour. Its amazing how many little leaks on the old braided stuff build up over time.

Paul
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Ok, sounds like a plan. Any recommended retailers?
              What other PITA small bore hoses are there?!

Incidentally, would I be losing performance though that holey pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                Ok, sounds like a plan. Any recommended retailers?
                What other PITA small bore hoses are there?!

Incidentally, would I be losing performance though that holey pipe?
                Just bought 3m of black from SFS - 9.99 + VAT plus a couple of quid postage.

www.sfsperformance.co.uk
                Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

How quickly did they supply?

is this stuff easy to put in place of the old hoses?

Comment

I think this pipe was left unconnected after a large stripdown last year, seem to remember it only giving 0.8-1.0 bar instead of 1.4.Some of them around the bulkhead will be a bit awkward to fit.I cant be 100% but i think there is one that goes from the back of the IM to a diff lock, or maybe i am talking turd?

Comment

yikes, that's a lot of lost boost. Better do this then!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee

Comment

The oil burn bit, could be down to excessive breather fumes being dblown out the split onto the warm turbo? Just an idea, but any slight leak can cause many problems.
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

That's what I am hoping... Looks like a PITA to find the bottom end of this pipe though Me and my car are not having a happy relationship at the moment

Comment

It just goes down to the DV. Dead easy to find, just pull out the o/s bumper insert and you should be able to see it.
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X