oil temps/pressures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil temps/pressures

On my track day at Bedford on Friday, I kept an eye on my oil temperatures.
    I did a full oil change in February to Synta Gold fully synthetic 10/40.

After only about 5 laps of vigorous driving, my oil temps were up to >130C, and pressures were dropping. At that temp, the pressures would fall to around 2-2.5 BAR, which doesn't feel healthy, so I took that as my cue to stop each run.

Added to that, after each run, I would either get a distinct smell (and sight) of burning oil coming from the engine bay somewhere, plus reports from the cars who couldn't pass me of the occassional belch of oily exhaust (esp on 7200rpm gear shifts).

The car definitely used oil on Friday - I topped it up with about 1/2 litre today.

I've retained my aux rad, coolant system was fully charged. I'm sure those sorts of oil temps are not healthy for extended periods? Temps did drop quickly to normal after a slow-down lap.

A few questions then:
    1 - what's a better oil? I'm reckoning people are going to say CastrolRS 10/60?

2 -have I killed my engine!

3 - how much for a replacement turboo?...
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

hAve you changed your fuel filter recently? A blocked filter can cause the car to run lean and that would mean running hotter.

IIRC Lee had this problem at a trackday a few months back - he had a blocked filter and has changed it - did he have the oil problem at your trackday?
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

My temps hit 150C on the same track day Dan. That's why I wasn't running many laps at a time. I was hammering it and it was quite warm so am not too surprised. I need to get my 44row oil cooler fitted: I only need to buy 2 hoses.

After that track day my tyres are completely fecked too! Clutch also rattles in second gear now, the altitude sensor is buzzing away loike mad and the car is stinking of leaking oil...was a laugh though. Must get my brakes sorted too as they were under performing a bit.

Not sure my car will take many more trackdays like that. It was pretty relentless out there.
      1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
      Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I don't think Dan was running lean at all. He was dumping some fuel out of the exhaust quite often! It was a really hot day and showed up the deficiency in our car's oil system. Fit a bigger cooler and it should cure it.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Fuel filter was replaced along with the fuel pump last year when that died, so should be ok - apparently I was chucking a lot of stuff out of the exhaust, but I was trying to get flames
          No flames though

Lee - it staggers me that you say your brakes were under-performing

For the record, the main straight we were both seeing speeds of IRO 130mph on the main straight, I was braking at between the 100 and 150m signs, Lee was braking at between the 100 and the 50m signs and still scrubbing off the speed in time for the slow-ish left hander!

It was a harsh day for the cars though yes: very hot track temperature, with some punishing cornering, braking and high-speed sections. My tyres were blistering all over, although they've still got a few mm of tread left.

I was pleasantly surpised by how effective my brake mod was: ok some had more outright stopping power (Lee!), but I had no fade at all, excellent bite, braking effort and very little vibration. That's with "only" a 304mm disc. Next time, bigger discs... EBC Reds definitely got some heat in them though -even at the rear. Discs were starting to turn a little blue after each session.

Oil temps -yes, it was a real hot one for the engines and shows up one area of the car that does need attention if you're going to be driving hard for extended periods. Who here has installed any custom oil coolers?

@Lee, do you think that having removed your aux rad might have caused you to see higher oil temps than I was? I was certainly giving it as many revs as you definitely were (nice pop on a gear change I heard you make on one lap!!)?

Anyway, back to the quesiton of oil - would I have seen less of a fall in oil pressure if I had been using Castrol RS 10-60 for example?

The day was a laugh, but as Lee said, it was a harsh one for our ageing cars.

Comment

My oil pressure stays above 2 bar when hot. I use Millers Competition 10W60 and it seems quite good. My water temps were fine although I may have a faulty oil thermostat or clogged oil cooler. I'll have a check to see if the cooler is warm next time I thrash it to scheck for stat operation. My car has been popping a lot lately which is quite cool. Should pop even more when I remove the centre box.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Mine pops sometimes, but didn't seem to on that day.

Comment

After about 5mins of enthusiastic driving I get oil temps of just under 130 degrees, using 5w40 synta gold.
                I'm going to change to 10w60 very soon either millers or castrol rs, synta isnt up to the job anymore.
                Anyone using motul?

Comment

Working...
                X