Rs2 Timing Belt/service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rs2 Timing Belt/service

About to do a service etc( with timing belt change ) on a 1994 RS2 with 110k kms on it.

Whilst doing the belt, is there anything else you should do / recommend doing at same time.

What sort of things beyond plugs/filters should i be doing as preventive maintenace/service at this time.

At this time i don't have history of car/service records so am trying to get vehicle to certain level before i explore any issues it may have .

Thanks Mick

there is a list of things to change,do a search on the forum.It might actually be on the sticky threads as well

Comment

As said - search the engine forum for how-to's and stickies on this but really quickly there are some easy wins when going to the effort of timing belt renewal...

1st thing you need to know is the timing marks are unreliable on the RS2 - they don't line up perfectly. So if the engine is running well, then make your own marks or photograph the current ones accurately. This is very UN german, but its well known now.

All new drivebelts for alternator, aircon, hydraulics
      Timing belt tensioner
      Crankshaft pulley (old ones have been known to show hairline cracks)
      Water pump
      Thermostat
      Two hoses at the water rail to thermostat housing and turbo return
      Oil temp switches & sensor if you see any signs of leaking
      Removal of the auxiliary radiator (optional but it frees up loads of working space for later in life)
      Snub mount
      70-60mm reducer hose for intercooler to x-member unless you REALLY trust the factory O-ring seal

With all this stuff out it also makes it much easier to renew the TBV, WGFV and renew any tired looking hoses.
      Also check the condition of the oil cooler and pipes when you have all this visibility of things with bumper & IC out of the way.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, just getting together a list of the parts etc, and realising the cost $$$....i have to ship to Canada and then pay taxes and duty !!!!......................the dealer in UK advises changing the "damper" ( not entirely sure what this bit is) as well..............its a 365 quid part !!!...............is it really necessary etc ????

Also any advice on where to get the parts from, besides the dealer ( i am able to get a good discount, but was hoping there may be better option out there ???)

Comment

buy parts in america. buy parts for the AAN engine, shop for an Audi S6... try Autohausaz.com

Comment

Note: The timing belt and waterpump are NOT the same for an S6 as RS2.
            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Originally posted by MickO View Post
              Thanks for all the advice, just getting together a list of the parts etc, and realising the cost $$$....i have to ship to Canada and then pay taxes and duty !!!!......................the dealer in UK advises changing the "damper" ( not entirely sure what this bit is) as well..............its a 365 quid part !!!...............is it really necessary etc ????

Also any advice on where to get the parts from, besides the dealer ( i am able to get a good discount, but was hoping there may be better option out there ???)
              Trying to make a quick buck or what! I think he's referring to the front pulley which has a rubber dampener in it in which case unless it's wobbly leave it alone.

Comment

In case it makes any differance............my engine code is ADU..............same parts as S6 ????????

Comment

NO, It makes a big difference.

.... like stated earlier.

Comment

Working...
                  X