Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine wont crank - help!

Hi,

Just got home and next door neighbour was having something delivered hence blocking the drive so i parked up the road. 2 mins later the truck moved so I tried to start the car, turned the key.........and nothing The engine didnt make even the slightest attempt to turn over...just the dreaded click.

Any ideas, can was running fine up until then and hasn't exhibited any faults related to this to date.

I will go an try to restart it in about 5 minutes but all suggestions welcome

Thanks,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Dead starter motor????
    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
    info@MRCTuning.com
    Workshop Directions

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk
      Hi,

Just got home and next door neighbour was having something delivered hence blocking the drive so i parked up the road. 2 mins later the truck moved so I tried to start the car, turned the key.........and nothing The engine didnt make even the slightest attempt to turn over...just the dreaded click.

Any ideas, can was running fine up until then and hasn't exhibited any faults related to this to date.

I will go an try to restart it in about 5 minutes but all suggestions welcome

Thanks,

David
      If you are hearing a click from the starter area then the solenoid is at least trying to kick the starter into life, but a dodgy/old starter armature will prevent it from turning. Not uncommon on high miled starters. Sometimes a gentle tap with a hammer can rectify the problem.

If you aren't hearing a good click from the starter area, then either the solenoid has packed up, your ignition switch is flaky, or maybe an immo/alarm circuit wired to the starter solenoid is failing.

Good luck - if its the former, then you might find a cool down helps things...

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

ok just been out to check again, with the two immobilisers de-activated, i get the full dash illumination as expected before turning the key and the voltmeter shows a normal reading and turning the key does indeed create a click but no crank.

So sounds like the solenoid is ok and the bonnet is up to cool......so lets see what happens when its cooled down a bit.

Paul where do I tap with a hammer exactly?

Cheers,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

ok, had a peek underneath at the starter motor/solenoid and after cleaning all the contacts noticed that the field winding cable was so corroded it was connected by probably 2 strands of copper instead of the thick weave its supposed to be.

So, do you know if you can replace the thick wire and if so where could I get one from or is it a case of replacing the whole lot???

Cheers,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Try tapping the solenoid with a hammer to get it to work. It does work sometimes!
            Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Is there enough cable left to be able to cut it down an inch or two? The cable under the insulation should be ok, but you may have to crimp on a new connector. Thats if this is the same cable as i am thinking of.

Comment

Starter prob for sure
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

no the cable is about an inch long and broken in the middle....
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

A good motor factor or electrical automotive (Bosch agent) shold be able to supply a suitable cable - a Bosch shop will crimp on new connectors as well
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Cheers Paul...will try Camberly autofactors tonight, they are huge and i think Bosch main agent.
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have done that

Originally posted by s2driveruk
                        ok, had a peek underneath at the starter motor/solenoid and after cleaning all the contacts noticed that the field winding cable was so corroded it was connected by probably 2 strands of copper instead of the thick weave its supposed to be.

So, do you know if you can replace the thick wire and if so where could I get one from or is it a case of replacing the whole lot???

Cheers,

David
                        David,

I had exactly those symptoms and found exactly the same problem. About 3 strands of copper wire to carry 40 Amps. Yes you can just replace the braided wire. I did.

You have to take the starter off the car and open up the starter. You will see how the braided cable goes through a rubber grommet and is soldered on the inside. If your carbon brushes are shot, it is a good time to replace those while you are in there.

Comment

i now have exactly the same problem, how difficult is it to remove the starter motor fro the engine? and then get inside it to replace the copper wire?

its gotta be cheaper than buying a new starter unit
                          '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

1) disconnect battery
                            2) disconnect thick and thin wire from the starter
                            3) don't forget in which terminal the thin wire was
                            4) remove 2 bolts from the transmission case at the starter (one has a separate nut on the front ie starter side, the other one bolts in the starter case)
                            5) curse the RHD version with the brake systems in the way
                            6) take the starter out

Dunno how tight spot it's in the RHD cars but LHDs give plenty of space to remove the bolts from the engine bay and wires and the starter itself comes out nicely from underneath the car.
                            -

Comment

thx for that porkkis, this is gonna be my saturday mission
                              '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

Working...
                              X