limp mode but no error codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limp mode but no error codes

Just had the codes read on my 3B as it keeps going into limp mode. Only came up with G28 intermittent fault and G80 carbon canister recirc valve (which I never connected or used during the conversion). No errors regarding boost or why it trips to limp mode.
    Reset the faults whilst engine running and shot off down the road, straight into limp mode so kept it running and connected VAG-COM, No errors...HELP!!! Clamped the hose to the wastegate and I shot off down the road again. over 1 bar straight away but no codes on returning. Baffled. Turbo seems to be passing oil again too, Doh!
    1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
    2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
    2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

You need the G80 to stop that code, worthwhile, just connect it and cable tie it up somewhere out the way.

According to S2central, G28 is the crankshaft speed sensor (black plug I think). If this is giving a dodgy reading then you could have either a faulty sensor or dodgy wiring. SOme investigateion required there I think. My Crank Position sensor plug was dodgy, took it apart, put it back together and all is well now, worth a go

Good luck!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      You need the G80 to stop that code, worthwhile, just connect it and cable tie it up somewhere out the way.

Good luck!
      Would this fault code put the ECU into limp mode though without giving an error code? First job is to sort this out and then look at the other fault code issues.
      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.

Comment

I know that if the ECU loses the crank or cam position sensors then it goes to mechanical boost only, as for anything else, you'll have to ask someone else I'm afraid.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
          Just had the codes read on my 3B as it keeps going into limp mode. Only came up with G28 intermittent fault and G80 carbon canister recirc valve (which I never connected or used during the conversion). No errors regarding boost or why it trips to limp mode.
          Reset the faults whilst engine running and shot off down the road, straight into limp mode so kept it running and connected VAG-COM, No errors...HELP!!! Clamped the hose to the wastegate and I shot off down the road again. over 1 bar straight away but no codes on returning. Baffled. Turbo seems to be passing oil again too, Doh!
          Rather than a 2nd recon'd turbo passing oil, could have a mistake in the PCV plumbing such that you are venting excessive blowby gasses ?

G28 intermittent would be a worry - thats a very important sensor for engine RPM so I would look to change that if you have bad contacts or a dicky sensor.

Limp home can be a right beeatch alright and it doesn't always give codes. IME this is normally just a good old air leak somewhere - unmetered air.

Have you checked the WG diaphragm is airtight ?
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

You will trip a code on G28 if you read codes with the engine off.
            1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
            1994 80E Avant
            1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
              Rather than a 2nd recon'd turbo passing oil, could have a mistake in the PCV plumbing such that you are venting excessive blowby gasses ?

G28 intermittent would be a worry - thats a very important sensor for engine RPM so I would look to change that if you have bad contacts or a dicky sensor.

Limp home can be a right beeatch alright and it doesn't always give codes. IME this is normally just a good old air leak somewhere - unmetered air.

Have you checked the WG diaphragm is airtight ?
              - Venting excess blowby gases...I no longer have the PCV system feeding back to the inlet, but into a small catch tank and out through a filter
              -Changed G28 without any effect.
              -unmetered air- where do you start with that one?

David

Comment

Try unplugging the MFTS, had this on my brothers car recently. It would only boost to 0.4bar, the MFTS was faulty and it does not throw up an error code.
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Good point - hadn't thought of MFTS but yes - its a candidate... though doesn't explain oily zorst.

Unmetered air is simply a leak in any pipes after the MAF that can be a source of excess air under vacuum. The normal candidate for that one is a damaged MAF hose, leaky PCV pipes or a split diaphragm in the wastegate.

Do you get the G28 error when the engine is running or not - THAT is important !
                  Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Good point - hadn't thought of MFTS but yes - its a candidate... though doesn't explain oily zorst.

Unmetered air is simply a leak in any pipes after the MAF that can be a source of excess air under vacuum. The normal candidate for that one is a damaged MAF hose, leaky PCV pipes or a split diaphragm in the wastegate.

Do you get the G28 error when the engine is running or not - THAT is important !
                    -Surely a dodgy MFTS would place in limp mode all the time not when you floor it past 4000rpm.
                    -Do not get the G28 code or any code if ECU codes reset whilst engine running and then drive off to get limp mode and recheck codes when I get back.
                    Also checked the wastegate working properly. All seems fine (cap actually came off easily..)
                    Last edited by 20Vcqdriver; 13 May 2009, 10:24.

Comment

Still think its an air leak, though MFTS is worth trying just to rule it out.

Rather than visually inspecting the diaphragm - you need to apply vacuum to the upper WG cap. That should be completely air tight for many minutes. A MItyvac is the weapon of choice for this, but you could probably use a compressed air line (with a guage) to pressurise the upper chamber - not too much though - and see if it is airtight.

What about your DV/TBV - checked it for air leaks too ?
                      Or any auxiliary hoses linked back to manifold.
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Still think its an air leak, though MFTS is worth trying just to rule it out.

Rather than visually inspecting the diaphragm - you need to apply vacuum to the upper WG cap. That should be completely air tight for many minutes. A MItyvac is the weapon of choice for this, but you could probably use a compressed air line (with a guage) to pressurise the upper chamber - not too much though - and see if it is airtight.

What about your DV/TBV - checked it for air leaks too ?
                        Or any auxiliary hoses linked back to manifold.
                        Yes DV checked out ok. Would a large boost leak not cause a code of one sort or another?
                        All manifold small bore hoses replaced after finding split in one last year.

Comment

Well! I stripped all the hoses off the back of the manifold and tested each one and found the one to the ECU and pressure reg had a split in it. Not very big but trimmed it back re-fitted and thought that had fixed the limp mode, but er NO. Still the same,
                          Going for a proper boost leak test next week and managed to locate a working K24 that has no smoke and has previously run on a re-chip without issues. But if non of these 2 issues can sort it, its into the garage and close the door until next year when hopefully I have saved up enough to carry on finding the issue.
                          One thing that is odd and that Tim is baffled about is why it takes so long to spool up. A K24 should jump to max boost from 2000rpm very quickly but mine takes around 2+ seconds by which time 2600rpm is showing...

Comment

What gear? In second I'm at 3500 by full boost on a run from 15mph
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

4th gear, foot down at 2000rpm and 2+ secs later I see 1.2 bar at 2600rpm, by the time I get to 5000rpm its in limp mode whichever gear I'm in. With the K24 thought it would jump up to over a bar in under a second, but it takes a second before anything happens. Is this normal?! The 350bhp Engined s2 I drove last year seemed to have less lag...

Comment

Working...
                              X